a film makers guide to capturing a murder

Prompt (from school of plot) - A film studies major accidentally stumbles upon a reel of footage that captures a murder.

_____________________________________

The brown haired girls hands trailed along the worn edges of the books that lined in seemingly endless rows on the old wooden shelves of the schools library.

Brows furrowed in concentration as her eyes darted from title to title looking for the textbook needed.

At the end of a shelf, a book jutted out like it was pulled out but then thought twice off and put back. 

Pulling the book out the girl read the title, "A film makers guide to capturing the in between"

She placed it on top of her stack of books and hobbled over to her study room.

The books scattered upon the table and something clattered to the ground. She reached under the table to pick the object up.

A small tape rested in the girls palms with worn out writing of  jumbled up letters and numbers.

She turned it between her hands pondering the contents it held.

Minutes later a projector was turned on and she inserted the tape as the wall turned beige with the tapes contents.

The video skipped and clicked as the projector buzzed trying to produce a clear image.

Suddenly a room appeared on the screen with a young woman hunched over a book. The brown haired girl leaned forward, eyes squinting trying to make sense of the clip.

A young man sauntered into the picture and the young woman jerked away from her book. The man's arms flailed around as he pointed at the women and her book before ripping the book from her. Their mouths moved angrily but no sound came out.

The brown haired girl looked away from the screen and reached from the volume knob before a blood curdling scream echoed around the small study room.

Breath heaving the brown haired girl dragged her eyes up to the screen where the man stood, back to the camera holding up a bloodied knife, forgotten behind him was a young women with blood streaming from her throat.

The girl couldn't tear her eyes from the clip and as she watched intently her breaths coming short, she noted the number next to the door of the small room in the clip.

266

Her eyes were wild and panicked as she ripped them from the screen and turned to the number next to the door.

266

Behind her, the screen still played. The man slowly turned to the camera, knife still in hand, and smiled.

The brown haired girl turned back to the projector, and screamed. 

____________________________

Word count-399

Published- February 10, 2024

february is spelled so weird like i thought it was febuary