Part 38

(POV - Aria)

A week later, Aria woke up in Marcus' bed alone.

She looked around, wondering where he could possibly have disappeared to, but found no trace of him. He must have left hours ago, when Aria had been fast asleep. She didn't mind, she only missed the warmth she'd grown accustomed to waking up beside.

She lay in bed for a little while longer, soaking in the soreness of her thighs and her lower abdomen, recalling the way Marcus had hauled her on top of him and watched her ride him until she shuddered through her own release.

The memory of his moans had warmth curling in her tummy again, and she figured it would be a good idea for her to get into the shower. Her stomach had already begun protesting and demanding food, and after their long night together, she knew she'd need to eat soon.

In the bathroom, she waited for the water to heat up, admiring the circle of bruises around her throat and dipping down between the valley of her breasts in the mirror above the basin. The only patch of skin Marcus had been careful to avoid was the area just beneath her scent gland, where wolves would mark their mates. It still sent a twinge of sadness through her, but she'd enjoyed spending all her time in Marcus' sheets.

She stepped into the shower and slid the door closed behind her, standing beneath the spray of the water for a moment while she collected her thoughts. She tried to work through the inner conflict she felt over her growing feelings for Marcus. The last few days had shown her so much, and even though she knew that, on some level, it was unfair to compare Marcus to Aiden, she couldn't help it.

Her first time with Aiden had been rushed and rough, almost detached with how quickly Aiden had cast her aside once he'd 'scratched his itch'.

But Marcus was completely different.

He'd been so gentle and caring with her, always checking in with her to make sure she was okay. He'd been loving in so many ways, showing her new pleasures she never knew existed. It had been overwhelming at first, and Aria was worried she was quickly becoming addicted to the way he worshipped her body in bed,

And it wasn't even reserved for the bed.

She'd expected him to treat her indifferently around the members of his pack, but he'd introduced her to every wolf they came across. His pack had welcomed her readily as well, nothing like the way her pack had often treated new wolves who had been looking for refuge.

It had been so surprising to her that he'd even allowed her to roam around his lands if she wanted, not restricting any part of the compound.

She had been ready to agree to his rules and found that he had none.

Even his pack members had treated him so warmly, wolves young and old, who offered nothing but sincere smiles when they greeted him.

And he had greeted them back warmly, although it might still appear cold and distant to anyone who couldn't tell the difference.

He was still the most different around her. When it was just the two of them, their legs tangled in the sheets, sweat sticking to their skin and sleepy, dopey smiles on their faces, he'd opened up to her.

Slowly but surely, Marcus had opened up about things that bugged him or stressed him out, things Jaden had said to him that day that had gotten under his skin, or even how much he despised certain foods.

She worried that her growing feelings would become a serious problem soon.

Aria was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of Marcus' voice just outside the door. It sounded as though he was talking to someone else, but Aria couldn't recognize the owner of the second voice. She didn't pay it any attention, shampooing her hair lazily and rinsing the bubbles out.