Part 45

(POV-Marcus)

Holding her face in his hands had his wolf crooning in happiness.

He settled so willingly, so easily, that Marcus didn't even have to think about pushing him back. Marcus leaned in close, his gaze fixed on her lips, the same lips that had serenaded his wolf.

He kissed her deeply, pouring every bit of emotion in his soul into her mouth, praying his legs wouldn't give out from the sheer relief of having her in his arms again. He hadn't exactly prepared a speech on his way over, his brain too focused on covering as much ground as quickly as possible, so when she'd asked him if he forgot something, he'd leaped at the opportunity to kiss her again. It was all he'd been craving, even when she'd gotten too close to his house, he'd wanted nothing more than to sink into her kisses and let their bodies say what they wouldn't.

He was so glad she hadn't fought him or told him to leave. He wasn't sure if he would have been able to leave, not without his own wolf having something to say about it.

So he let himself float away on the sensation of her lips pressed to his, moving and melding perfectly. God, he could sacrifice all the food and water in the world if it meant he got to live off the sweetness of her tongue.

He wondered if she knew how much power she held over him, how easily she could break him apart in her small hands. It was shockingly exhilarating, putting his life in her care. And she didn't even know it yet.

Too soon, she pulled away, hesitation and fatigue heavy in her beautiful eyes.

"We can't," she said, licking at the swell of her lips. "Marcus, we can't keep doing this. It's not going to work."

Marcus stayed quiet, waiting for her to continue. He'd learned enough about her in their time together to know that, even though she could spin tales like a poet, she often struggled to find the words she needed to voice her own emotions. So he waited, and let her sort through the sea of letters inside her.

"We started off wrong," she mumbled, but it didn't sound like the words she had been looking for. She sounded unsure, even though what she said was the truth. He could tell by the way her eyes shone, new tears gathered at the corners while she struggled internally. "You made it very clear that we were strictly no strings attached, that we couldn't let emotions or feelings develop and get in the way. But I..."

She cut herself off, almost as if she was too scared to continue. She blew out a breath and glanced down in frustration like she might find the right thing to say just laying on the ground at her feet.

Marcus stayed quiet, swallowing the urgent need to pull her close again. He knew he needed to give her space, to give her time because whatever she was worried about would affect any plans they might have for the future. That is, if she wanted a future with him.

"I don't think we should let anything develop between us," she said. "It'll only get in the way of the agreement."

The words she'd chosen cut like a knife, but he steeled himself and waited to see if she'd continue before he spoke. He felt his wolf recede completely, going almost dormant while he mulled over what she'd just said.

"I disagree," he said, unable to stop himself from reaching out. His hands rested on her shoulders, his fingers tingling already. "And I think it's time we throw the agreement out on its ass, don't you think?"

She stared up at him, wide-eyed and looking a little disbelieving.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked, wary. "The agreement was your idea."

He nodded, running his palms down her arms and taking her hands in his.

"It was," he agreed easily. "And at the time, it was what I thought needed to happen to make sure neither of us got hurt. But now, I'm not interested in a no strings attached arrangement."