Favorite Cousin

2 days ago

Preston

I watch a group of kids run past me in the park as they chase each other around. I'm not too sure what game they're playing. I'm 20% sure it's tag. When was the last time I played tag? Are the rules still the same? Did tag even have rules? Would it be weird if I played tag now? I mean I wasn't that old? I was what 24?

"He's late." Jeremiah says snapping me out of my thought process.

"A strange man called saying he was information and you believed him without question?"

"Yes." He shrugged like it was no big deal.

It was a good thing our family was a matriarchy. I couldn't picture Jeremiah one day being in charge of all of us. We'd probably die in the first week because he followed his gut. Then again his gut was never wrong.

"Mr. Wilson." A voice said making us both turn.

I frowned at the awkwardly tall man slouching in front of us. His eyes focused on Jeremiah and occasionally shifting to me. He looked like a drug addict that just escaped from rehab and was out looking for his next fix.

"Yes?" Jay asks frowning at him.

"You spoke with my associate a few days ago. I'm here on his behalf to deliver what he promised."

"Why couldn't he do it himself?" I ask, my eyes focused on the kids a few feet from us.

"He is on a mission of his own."

"Well are you going to stand there or are you going to tell us what you know?" Jay asks folding his arms across his chest.

"First you have to promise that no harm will come to me. I am risking my life being in this par. Being in this city. I heard a Wilson's word is as valuable as water in the desert."

Jeremiah sighs. Like this entire exchange is a chore for him. Which it probably is. My brother is not in any way patient. But he simply glares at the man in front of us and sighs.

"You have my word that my brother and I will not bring you any harm. You will leave this park alive."

Shifty relaxes a bit and stands a little straighter. Although he is still slouching. He looks around as if to check if anyone else I listening before he finally speaks.

"The Chaos Witch, the one everyone is looking for. The one you are looking for. Is one of yours." He says with a smile.

Mellie.

"We're already aware of that. I hope you don't think that small piece of information is worth your life." Jay says glaring at him and wiping the grin right off her face.

"I know where she's going. Where she will be." He says in a rush.

"Speak."

"She leaves for Greece today. She'll be in Lefkada for a month. But she won't be alone. Two alpha wolves and some other creature are acting as her guard."

"What do you mean other creature? What is it?" I ask

"None of us knows. He's fast and strong. At first we thought he was a wolf, and then we thought he was a witch because he showed signs of magic. But he's immune to pretty much everything. Witches die. They burn. This one walks through flames like some kind of demon."

And now he sounds like a drug addict who escaped from rehab. A demon witch with wolf powers. Sounds fun. And not at all like a hallucination.

"What is she doing in Lefkada for a month?" Jay asks.