5. Scars From the Past

Wednesday Addams

The end of the week had approached, and it was now the weekend. Dreadfully for Pugsley, he has to return to school. Summer break is technically over for him. I have never been so enraptured until the day I finished school. There were so many mindless teenagers that needed to return to preschool. It was purgatory to be surrounded by goons. I almost feel bad for my brother.

Speaking of education, it has me pondering what it would be like if Enid and I attended the same school together. There's a possibility neither of us would have met nor would we be in this predicament. If only Goody had warned me, I would've been prepared. However, it's not as insufferable as I expected it to be. The position I'm in could have turned for the worst.

Unlike anyone else, Enid recognizes my boundaries. She resumes to be annoying as ever, but I have a slight respect for her. That's more than I have ever given to anybody other than my family. To tell the truth, I am leisurely adjusting to the werewolf. Thing and Pugsley had grown to feel comfortable around her. So far, I'm coming into last place, but I'm finishing the race.

"Hey Enid. Do you think you can come with Lurch and I tomorrow to drop me off at school? It's like a ten minute drive," Pugsley asked neutrally.

"Of course! Anything for my future brother-in-law," Enid put an arm around my brother's head before rubbing the top of it with her knuckles.

Both of them laughed as they split apart. It was the first I heard Enid sound contented. The way she laughed turned out to be consoling and appealing. Weird.

"So, what's something fun that we can do before your summer break is over?" The werewolf questioned Pugsley.

"Ooh ooh! I know! How about a rockball fight?" Pugsley grinned excitedly.

"A rockball fight?"

"Yeah! It's like a snowball fight but with rocks. We keep track of how many times we hit someone with a rock. One point equals one hit. Whoever has the most, wins," my brother explained.

"Um. Okay? Do we wear protective gear or anything like that?" Sinclair inquired cautiously.

"Yup. We wear a face shield attached to a helmet to protect our heads, and that's pretty much it."

"Better than nothing. Wanna join us Wednesday? The more people, the merrier," the blonde whipped her head to my direction.

"If I do join, I'll win easily," I replied smoothly.

"Maybe. Maybe not. It all depends on the new player, aka me," Enid pointed at herself with the most confident smile I have ever seen.

"Keep up with the confidence. It's something that suits you for once," was the last thing I said before leaving to gather my equipment for our little battle.

Whenever my family and I play a rockball fight, we always take our designated rocks carved with our initials and our gear to a closet next door to the foyer. I exited the living room and went through the foyer to the guest room. There, a closet is shown nearby. I opened the door for it and entered the spacious room. Quickly, I found what I was looking for.

I picked up three face shields made out of metal and grabbed a bucket filled with our own rocks. I left the closet and came out to the foyer where Pugsley and Enid were goofing around. I almost groaned in annoyance at the two acting like children. They both chortled like never before, and again, the feeling crawled when my ears listened to Enid's laughter filled with euphoria. Something is deeply wrong with me.