3. enchanting to meet you

CHAPTER THREEnarrative

CHAPTER THREE
narrative

"Cait, are you sure?" I question, my voice soft. We're sitting in the car outside of Connor's place off campus. I had known most of the girls for years, so I was fine with them. The only boys I was close to were Patrick and Connor, not very many others.

The sun had set thirty minutes ago. I watched it nervously while Caitlin drove. We weren't staying long anyway, but I was still anxious.

Caitlin's eyes soften as she looks at me. I let out a breath, "Maybe I should've just stayed home, waiting until you got home to come over and do homework."

Caitlin sighs a little, "If you don't want to go, I will text Mon right now and tell her you don't feel well. Then we can go to my place and work on homework."

I shake my head, "If you want to be here, I'll be here too." She gives me an are-you-sure look and I nod. She squeezes my hand again before getting out of the car and I follow her lead.

We meet in the middle, walking up the path to Connor's door side-by-side. Caitlin knocks as she opens the door, "What's up!" She yells as I close the door behind me.

"Caitlin!" A few people yell in our direction, coming up to hug her. I feel arms around me, they're shorter. I look down to see Gabbie, smiling. All of the cheerleaders are here too, though I don't see Sabrina Lucia, a close friend of mine on the cheer team.

I squeeze her gently, "Hi, Gabs!" I say happily.

"I'm glad you came, Lily," she grins. I nod and she begins to pull me toward the kitchen. I stop us, waiting for Cait to catch up. She waves us on, talking to a few teammates.

In the kitchen, Monika hugs me tightly, pressing a kiss to my head. Even years after we met, she's still like my big sister, "You okay?" She questions, obviously knowing that i'm nervous. I nod, the blasting music filling my ears. "Water?" She asks, holding a red solo cup out to me. I take it from her, it's already filled.

Caitlin joins us, hugging Monika and the rest of the starters who are all hanging out in the room. It overlooked the living area. The men and women's basketball teams were talking as music played in the background.

Caitlin also got a cup of water, her free hand finding the small of my back where it rested. The touch was different. Sure, I was used to Caitlin wrapping an arm around me and hugging me, but it just felt different.

For the rest of the time we were there, Caitlin had an arm around my shoulders or around my waist and we stayed in one spot. If someone wanted to talk to Caitlin, they had to come to her.

"You ready?" Caitlin whispers after only an hour and a half. It's getting closer to eight thirty, so we should probably get going if Cait wants to get her paper done.

I meet her eyes, giving her a small smile, "Yeah, let me say bye to Mon." Caitlin nods, walking toward the blonde with me.

"You guys leaving?" Monika asks when she sees us. We both nod and I hug the blonde, "Okay, be safe, both of you." Monika says, hugging Caitlin next.

Caitlin says bye to the rest of her teammates and I bid my farewells to the women's team as well as Patrick and Connor.

I slide into the passenger seat of the car at the same time she gets into the drivers seat.

"See? It wasn't that bad," Caitlin says as I hook my phone up to the CarPlay, she always lets me.

I shrug with a small smile, "Not terrible, no."

"And everyone was nice," she adds.

"They acknowledged me and then talked to you," I say.

Caitlin sighs, grabbing my hand and squeezing, "Are you coming to practice tomorrow?" she changes the subject.

I shrug, "I don't know. Can we go? You have homework to finish." She nods, almost reluctantly letting my hand go to drive away.

authors note
lily and cait <3