26. passing by unbenknownst to me

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.
narrative

january 23, 2023: columbus, ohio

It was a great game tonight. Caitlin got her eighth triple-double of her career (with 28 points, 10 rebounds, and 15 assists) and the girls ended Ohio State's undefeated season on Ohio's home court. Watching the girls do what they loved was more than amazing. I loved watching them have fun on the court with each other.

"You two did so good," I say, pulling Gabbie and Kate in for a hug as they come out of the locker room, all ready to go back to the hotel. I do the same with Monika when she steps out.

The three of them head for the bus. Hannah walks out next and I smile at her, "Hey, Superstar! You did amazing," I tell her, squeezing her hand and pulling her into a hug. I can already see Hannah having a great college career. She's doing great as a freshman.

I let her walk ahead, still waiting on Caitlin to come out of the locker room. When she steps out, she has her bag over her shoulder, phone in hand, and I notice that she's taken her hair down, brushed it out as well. She's changed into sweatpants and her Iowa Hawkeyes jacket, a black tee underneath. She looks around for anyone with cameras, though they've all left the space, letting the girls have their privacy.

Once Caitlin is sure no one is around, she wraps her arms around my waist, burying her head in the crook of my neck. I smile, securing my arms around her neck, cupping the back of her head before starting to rub her back.

"Hi, baby," I whisper, kissing the side of her head, "I'm pretty proud of you."

I feel her lips curl into a smile against my skin, "Thank you, pretty girl," she says, squeezing me tightly before pulling away. She licks her lips as she stares at me, making my cheeks heat up quickly.

From behind us, we hear someone clear their throat. We turn around, finding Kylie and Sydney staring at us with huge smiles, "Hi, lover girls," Kylie teases, her hands in her pockets.

Beside me, Caitlin scratches the back of her neck, almost a little embarrassed. I wrap my arm around her waist, squeezing her gently to let her know it's okay.

"Everyone's out at the bus. We're the last ones, so you two ready to go?" Sydney questions.

Caitlin and I nod at the same time, "Yeah, let's go."

She grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers as we walk. Kylie and Sydney walk beside us, talking about the game and what they're doing after we all get back tomorrow. We get to the bus, the four of us finding seats. Caitlin and I sit in the back. The ride back is filled with hype music, though a few of the girls were straight exhausted (Caitlin laid on me the entire ride) as the adrenaline wore off from the win.

When we get back to the hotel, Monika, Caitlin, and I head to the room we're sharing. Almost immediately after changing, the girls pass out. Monika in one bed, Caitlin and I in the bed across from her, tangled in each other's arms.

The next morning, we all get up to get on the bus that would be taking us to the airport.

It's almost second nature when we board the plane now, getting things checked, going through security. Kate, Caitlin and I sit together. Hannah, Jada, and Taylor are across the aisle from us. Monika, McKenna, and Gabbie sit in front of us.

It's nearly an hour and a half flight back to Iowa City, so not too bad. Caitlin must've still been tired from last night or she didn't get enough sleep because once we take off, her head falls onto my shoulder, grabbing my hand and putting it in her lap.

I intertwine our fingers, bringing my other hand up to her hair to scratch her head before letting my hand fall, kissing her head. In a matter of minutes, she is asleep. She looks so peaceful.

Gently, I rub her knuckles with my thumb. Looking around, I meet Taylor and Jada's eyes, the two of them smiling at Caitlin and I.

"My moms are so cute," I hear Taylor say quietly. With my free hand, I do a heart toward her with my fingers, mouthing "I love you" to her.

Kate glances over from her seat by the window, probably trying to get Caitlin's attention for something. When she finds Caitlin sleeping next to her, she looks up at me and smiles, "She feels safe with you," the Martin girl says.

My heart flutters, my stomach does backflips. I smile widely, looking down at Caitlin before my eyes move back to Kate. Slowly, I nod, "I'm glad she does."

Kate turns back to the window, listening to music through her headphones like most of the girls are doing. Not much time as passed, it doesn't feel like it anyway. I let my head rest against Caitlin's finding myself drifting away as well.

authors note
"she feels safe with you" JFBSJS
I CANTTT