33. message in a bottle

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

narrative

february 26, 2023: iowa city, iowa

After the most upsetting loss to Maryland five days ago, the girls needed to have a good game tonight. That's exactly what they did. Both teams competed, keeping it super close until the end. Caitlin shot a three point buzzer beater for Iowa to get up by one and win the game.

My family and I wait around while Caitlin, Monika, and McKenna do the postgame panel with Bluder. We stay mostly outside the locker room area, talking to Kate and Gabbie about the game (and they wanted to see my family).

Sabrina comes up to us a little bit after the game. I assumed she left when I didn't see her immediately after, but she hugs Gabbie and Kate when she reaches us. She congratulates them on the game before turning to me and hugging me.

"Your girlfriend is amazing," she says, her voice a little louder than I would like it to be. All of the press is too focused on the girls in another room, so I don't have to worry too much about it, but it still makes me nervous.

My eyes scan for anyone else that could be hanging around as I smile and nod to Sabrina's words, "It was pretty great."

"Are you two ever gonna be public?" Sabrina asks and I don't miss the way Kate furrows her brows at the girl beside her before her eyes land on me, as if she couldn't believe Sabrina just asked that. Sabrina knows Caitlin and I wouldn't say anything until both of us are ready to. At this point, we just want to keep it to ourselves as well as close friends and family.

I feel Gabbie place her hand on my back, her thumb slowly rubbing circles through the fabric of my shirt. To her and Kate, I had become visibly uncomfortable. My mom, brother, and sister are a few ways away now, talking on their own, so Kate, Gabbie, and I could talk to Sabrina.

"It's something Caitlin and I will have to talk about," I tell her.

She nods, "You two are just so cute. People should get to see that side of the two of you," Sabrina says smiling innocently.

"Just family and friends right now, Rina," I tell her. She gives me a tight-lipped smile.

Sabrina grips the strap of her cheer bag, checking the time on her phone, "I gotta go. See you guys later," she says, looking between the three of us. Her eyes land on my family behind us, "Bye, Lily's fam!" she exclaims before walking off, they barely acknowledge her.

When we know she's out of earshot, Kate looks at Gabbie and I, "Did she really just say that shit?"

"It's fine, just let it go," I tell Kate so she doesn't get too mad.

Gabbie's hand falls from my back, "It's really not, though. That conversation caused visible discomfort on your part, Lily."

"Sabrina's gonna be Sabrina, loud-mouthed and nosy," I say, not trying to sound mean. That's who Sabrina was, but she was one of my best friends and I loved her.

Kate shakes her head, but the two of them let the conversation go. My family walks back toward us, "What did she talk about?" Cole asks, looking at Kate, "You looked pissed."

I shake my head now, "Let's not talk about it," I tell him at the exact right time because Caitlin, Monika, and McKenna are walking toward the locker room after the panel.

Caitlin runs up to us, pulling me into her side gently, "Hi," she says softly, running her fingers up and down my arm.

"Hi," I mumble, hoping she can still hear me as I lean into her as much as I can, my arm around her waist. She can.

I can tell she's already worried, it's just who Caitlin is, "Are you okay?" she whispers in my ear. I look up at her and nod, giving her a small smile, "Let me get changed, grab my stuff, and we can go home, okay?"

She's been staying at my apartment a lot recently. I like that she refers to it as home.

I nod again and she squeezes me before walking into the locker room as Monika and McKenna step out with their things. Mom tells McKenna good game before the girl leaves, Gabbie and Kate going with after telling us bye.

Cole starts to talk to Monika about the game, Alina and Mom chiming in every once in a while. Mom stands with her arm around Monika's waist, holding her like she does to Cole, Alina, and I when we stand next to her.

After a few more minutes, Caitlin comes out of the locker room with her bag, changed out of her uniform. She stands between Alina and I.

"Cait, that buzzer beater was fucking insane," Cole says, holding his hand out to the girl.

Caitlin hits her hand against his with a smile on her face, "Thanks," she says. We stand around for a little bit longer before Monika gets going. Once she leaves, Caitlin and I decide to go. The two of us and my family walk out together.

We say bye to my family. If I had the room in my apartment, they would stay with me, but I don't want mom sleeping on the floor since she would offer the couch to Cole or Alina. They're staying in a hotel, not far from Carver, so it's not horrible. If it was farther from the arena, mom would probably complain.

I climb into the passenger seat of Caitlin's car as she sets her bag in the backseat before sliding into the driver's seat. She turns on the car, quickly turning the radio volume all the way down so there's no noise. She turns to me, grabbing my hand gently, "What's wrong, Lils?" she asks, her thumb brushing over my knuckles.

I sigh gently, "Before you got there, Sabrina was just saying stuff about us really loud and I wasn't sure if anyone who didn't know was around," I tell her, "She was asking if we were gonna go public ever.

"Gabbie and Kate were pissed. Sabrina even knows that we are keeping it between friends and family, I don't know why she even had to ask it," I explain, staring at our hands.

"Rina doesn't need to be asking that kind of stuff, especially when she knows the answers," Caitlin says.

I nod my head, keeping my head down, "I'm sorry," I say softly, knowing she'll be able to make it out.

"Baby, what are you sorry for?" Caitlin asks, using her free hand to lift my chin so I can look at her.

I chew on the inside of my bottom lip, searching for the words to say, "It was a good night, a good game, and now, I just sort of brought the mood down with all of this."

"It's still a good night, pretty girl. You didn't ruin anything," she reassures, brushing my cheekbone gently with her thumb.

I nod slowly. Caitlin leans over the center console, pressing a kiss to my forehead and then to my lips, "Let's go home, yeah?" she says after she pulls her lips from mine.

"Let's go home," I say, nodding again.

authors note
"HOME" FHHSSJ
also feel free to HATE HATE
sabrina bc she only goes
downhill from here.