31. when all i want is you

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE.
imessage and narrative

february 25, 2023: iowa city, iowa

cole

cole
when do you guys get out
of practice?

caitlin
we just did, why?

cole
no reason, are you going to lily's?

caitlin
yes? i'm confused

cole
don't be confused, it's fine

caitlin
cole what are you
planning?
read 18:37
caitlin
cole???
delivered 18:40

"Lils? Why did your brother text me and ask when practice gets over?" Caitlin asks when she enters my apartment. She stopped by her dorm to change before heading over. I come out of my room, an oversized Iowa hoodie falling over my athletic shorts.

"Did he really?" I question, putting my hands on my hips. I had been joking about hitting him, but now I really was going to slap the shit out of him.

Caitlin nods, "What is going on?"

"He's just being an idiot," I tell her, wrapping my arms around her neck. Her hands close around my waist, kissing my temple.

She pulls back, cupping my cheeks gently, "Did you just wake up?"

"A little bit ago," I confirm with a nod, "Mom called and said they were almost here."

She nods, leaning down to kiss my forehead before letting her hands drop to her sides. I watch as she walks to where Ziggy is sitting on the counter, stroking his fur gently.

The door opens a few moments later. We hear my brother before we see him, "Lily!" he yells and I roll my eyes.

"Cole!" I hear Alina hiss at him.

The three of them walk into the living area and I hug my mom and Alina. Cole is walking close behind them, but far enough away to reach Caitlin first, pulling her in for a hug. I knew it was going to turn into him using her as a protective shield from me, but I couldn't do anything now.

"Why'd you text me earlier?" she asks him when she pulls away from the hug. Like Monika, she's also taller than him. Caitlin stands at six foot, so I can see why he would use her as a shield.

He shrugs, his eyes landing on me, "Wanted to see my sister-in-law, now protect me," he says, spinning her around and holding onto her shoulders.

"You want me to protect you from your sister?"

"She won't hit me if her girlfriend is in front of me," he says reasonably, because I won't.

I roll my eyes, "I swear to god," I say.

A knock comes from my door as it opens. I don't pay attention to who it is as I try to move around to get a shot at Cole, "What is going on here?" Monika's voice fills my ears.

"Lily's trying to kill Cole," Alina explains.

The blonde furrows her brows, "So he has Caitlin helping him?"

"Unwillingly!" Caitlin chimes in as Cole moves her around to block me.

"He's the one who told me to come over," Monika says with a shrug, a smile on her face as she watches this unfold.

"I was hoping you could help me too," he says, looking at Mon. As Cole glances over at Monika, Alina takes the opportunity to grab Caitlin's hand and pull her from Cole's grasp, "Shit."

I see Caitlin wrap her arms around Alina, "My savior," Caitlin chuckles.

Cole takes off in the opposite direction around my island and I go toward him, knowing he'll turn back and go the other way. "Get him, babe!" Caitlin cheers, her arm around Alina's shoulders. Mom stands next to Caitlin, just smiling because she's used to our antics.

Being the best person ever, Monika grabs Cole's arms as he goes toward her, holding him in place as best she can, "Mon, what the fuck!" he says, mock betrayal on his expression.

I take this time to slap his back hard. He winces as Monika lets him go and I know it hurt, "Told you I was gonna slap you really fucking hard when you got to Iowa."

"Yeah, you also said Caitlin and Monika wouldn't protect me," he adds.

I nod, "Another thing I was right about."

"I should've texted Kate instead of Mon," he says, his hand rubbing the spot where I hit him.

"Welcome back to Iowa," I tell him, squeezing his shoulder and hugging him, silently calling a truce. We both know we were messing around, even if the hit was harder than it was supposed to be.

Caitlin now hugs my mom and Monika has to wrap her arms around everyone as well.

"Anyone wanna go get dinner?" Cole asks and we all nod, figuring out where we want to eat before leaving.

authors note
they're my favorite siblings