18. at every table, i'll save you a seat

CHAPTER EIGHTEENnarrative

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
narrative

december 19, 2022: iowa city, iowa

"What am I going to wear?" I groan for the fourth time in ten minutes as I fall back onto my bed in distress. Monika sits at the desk I have in my room, watching me crumble with a smile on her face.

Monika shakes her head, "I told you, wear something that makes you feel hot."

I sigh, looking at my best friend, "But what if I'm overdressed? I'll look like an idiot."

"You know that little black dress you have?" she asks me, "Wear that, it makes Caitlin stare at you with heart eyes." I nod because she has a point. I grab it from my closest, laying it out on my bed. "But you could wear anything and she looks at you like that," she adds with a small chuckle.

"So my black dress and my air forces or is that too mix and match?"

She hums, "Maybe your white converse? I know you like those more than the AF1's," Monika suggests, her hands together on her lap.

"What would I do without you?" I ask my best friend and she shrugs her shoulders.

She smiles, "Definitely wouldn't have survived high school."

I throw one of my pillows at her which causes her to laugh. She catches it, throwing it right back at me. I shake my head, setting it back on my bed.

"Lover girl is going to be here soon, you gotta hurry up," Mon says as she gets up to make her way to the door.

I wring out my hands as if my nerves would magically disappear from it: they don't. "Let's do this!" I reassure myself as I walk over to my closet.

"You got it, Lils," Monika says by my bedroom door. "I love you!"

"I love you too." I say with a smile. I take a deep breath as she leaves my apartment, changing into the black dress she told me to wear. Monika always knows how to get me to calm down when I'm stressed, she has since high school. Like she said, I really wouldn't have survived high school without her.

Right as I grab my shoes from their box in my closet, I hear my front door open.

"Lily!" I hear a familiar feminine voice call from the front room.

My skin floods with goosebumps, "In here, C!" I'm slipping on my shoes when she steps into my room.

"Damn, you look amazing."

"Speak for yourself," I say with a smirk.

"You are just... beautiful. God, I'm lucky," she speaks to me like I am hers. Something I crave every day.

"I'm pretty lucky too," I tell her with a smile. I'm more than lucky to even have her as a friend.

I stand up after getting my shoes put on and she steps toward me, "Hey, I wanted to ask you about what you said at practice on Saturday."