Chapter Three

A party is exactly what I needed. I would get dressed, get my hair done, I would look perfect. I will be around enough people to keep me distracted from my wondering mind. I would have Daphne to help keep me focused and pick through the men around. We would determine who needed to be on my dance card and who I needed to avoid. It's how we got through two seasons before she met Simon. We could do it again.

That was until I read the morning paper.

Lady Whistledown wrote about my very large dowery. I enjoyed reading her columns when they talked about other people. She said nothing bad about me, but that was the type of information I didn't want out there. The only thing that saves me is that she didn't give an exact amount. Maybe I could get away with saying she was being too generous. But even then...I should have know that was wishful thinking.

I made it to the party and my dance card filled rather quickly. The sad part was that I didn't even have time to filter through. I had to dance with all of them. But that wasn't the worst part. I like to dance. The worst part was everyone was trying their hardest to keep up with me. So the one weapon I had to filter through the men was now pointless. Men seem to behave completely different when a fortune is at the end of their goal. They manipulate every word they say, every action they do, and you don't know what is real and what is not. I don't have time to poke through those who are pretending. Once I am married, I will be stuck with that man forever. If he is completely horrid, I will be...stuck. That's the worst part. I don't want to be stuck.

The second that my third dance was over I walked over to get some lemonade. I needed something to drink. Honestly, I wished for something strong, but this was all that I had. The only good thing about the night was the color of my dress. Anthony was right. It was the best color to have for the night. I just wish I had a better night to go alone with it. "Having fun?" I heard Colin's voice, making me turn to look over.

I looked around, making sure we were alone before I sighed, "I'm exhausted. Now that Whistledown told everyone about my sizable dowry I can't tell the difference between those with as good of wit as I or those who are just pretending."

I lifted my drink to my lips taking a drink when Colin spoke again. "Maybe Anthony will propose to you." His word made me choke on my drink. I covered my mouth with my hand until I caught my breath.

"Is this the part where I laugh?" I asked, ignoring the pain in my chest from my drink going down so hard.

Colin shrugged. "I'm serious. He's the only person I've seen able to keep up with your wit."

"Well, glad to know there's no hope." I stated, setting my glass down.

Colin chuckled saying, "I wouldn't say that." He took a drink of his glass before walking away from me. If walking away and leaving me confused was a Bridgerton trait, it was one I wasn't a fan of.

I wish I could have stayed by the refreshments for the rest of the night, but I only got five minutes before I was being asked to dance by Mr. Charles. Well, he was trying to ask me dance, but every time he got close to mentioning just a ghastly idea, I did the only thing a disinterest, illbred woman could do. I interrupted him with a change of topic. Until a familiar voice came to my rescue, "Lady Cavenaugh, I do believe you owe me a dance." We both looked at Anthony and I couldn't stop myself from smiling.

"Yes, I do," I looked back at Mr. Charles whose large, round face was turning red. "Please excuse me, Mr. Charles." I put my hand on Anthony's hand, letting him walk me towards the dance floor. Once a distance away, I leaned towards him with a slight whisper, "I have never been so grateful towards you."

"You looked as if you needed someone to rescue you."

"My knight in shining armor." Anthony chuckled.