Chapter Five

When I woke up in the morning a strange feeling washed over me. It was...happiness. It wasn't a feeling I couldn't recognize. My life was hard, especially at the moment, but it wasn't so awful that I could never be happy. There were people with a much worse fate than my own. The only thing that made it feel strange for me was how long it had been for it to come naturally. I couldn't remember the last time I work up with this feeling. I wasn't sure what the dream was that gave me this feeling, but I hoped it would visit me again tonight. There was nothing like facing the day with a smile instead of my dreadful frown.

I had just started getting dressed when Dorota stepped back into the room with a letter from my mother. I took the letter from her, setting it on the desk before turning away. I wasn't ready to open it. In any other conversation made with my mother, I would have to respond quickly. But my mother wasn't here and couldn't force me to ruin my mood. I put on my dress and had Dorota pin up my hair. "I feel good today," I admitted and Dorota smiled at me. "Like I might actually be able to get through the day without dreading my future."

"Miss. Charlotte, I would believe you more if you had opened that letter from your mother."

I sighed, "I know she's not telling me anything I need to know at the moment."

I noticed the way Dorota pressed her lips tightly together, leaving me trapped in my own words. I may be basking in my own happiness, but I also know a lie when I tell one. Dorota finished my hair and I let out a deep breath, "Bloody hell." I may have kept my voice down, but I knew Dorota heard me. I was just grateful not to hear God is always listening, miss Charlotte. I pushed myself up from the seat, walking over to the desk and picking the letter up. I felt myself staring at it as if it were to opened on its own. I'm going to regret opening this.

Dear Charlotte,

I hope you are doing well with the Bridgertons. Violet likes to write me often to keep me informed of your endeavors. None of which was met with you finding a suitable marriage. I am aware our bargain was to give you the season, but something tells me you are just attending the parties and floating about. I didn't not raise a wanton, and I will not let you ruin your reputation. It's time to make a choice. You need a suitable match, and I expect it to be soon. I am also not so unreasonable to think you would make it easy if I take all your time away. So, I will be down to visit in one weeks time before I will be taking things into my own hands. Before you start having a meltdown, I am doing this for your own good.

Sincerely,

Your mother

One weeks time. It took everything I had not to shout unproper words for all of London to hear. I knew I shouldn't have opened it, but I did. I let Dororta talk me into the responsible decision, and now everything is ruined!

No! No, no, no, no, no, no. I will not let it ruin my day. I will not let her take this feeling away from me. I will take a deep breath, hold onto this feeling, and take on the day. It's the only choice that I have.

When I made it downstairs, I noticed people walking flowers in from the door to the drawing room. I followed the flowers into the room. Colin, who was stuffing his face with biscuits, and Violet, who was directing flower placement, were standing in the room. The room was filled with roses, carnation, lilies, peonies, tulips, and even more. The flowers stopped and Violet smiled at me. "Isn't this wonderful?" Violet asked with excitement.

"Where did all these flowers come from?" I asked, stepping further into the room.

"You're many suitors." Colin said, eating the last biscuit. "Now, could you be a dear and ring for some food?"