Chapter-26

Judge me by the people I avoid.

~Anonymous

•~•

"Well? I don't have all night. Speak whatever you want to and get lost."

"Look, Pallavi, I know what I did was very wrong and I am sorry but—"

"But what? You did what my brother did to Aadhya. She didn't forgive him, then how can you expect me to forgive you?" She cried in exasperation.

"Don't compare me with your brother."

"Why not? You both are same. He broke his wife's heart and you broke mine."

"I did not. I loved you too, okay? Goddamnit, I still love you. It's just—"

"It's just what? There's no explanation of what you did. YOU broke up with ME, Rachit. Remember that before speaking anything."

"I know and I am sorry—"

"What am I going to do with your sorry? You humiliated me in the worst way possible."

"I know but it was necessary to leave you. It was for your own good."

"Did I ask you to do me any good? No. Then how can you make decisions on my behalf? You could have told me about your problem and we could have gotten through it together."

"I thought that you—"

"You thought what?"

"I am not a gentleman as I pretend to be."

"I know. People warned me. They told me to think before getting into a relationship with you."

"What did they say?"

"That you are not a gentleman and you do some things which are not quite legal. I didn't listen and that got me heartbroken."

"YOU THINK THAT ONLY YOUR HEART WAS BROKEN?"

"YES."

"NO. IT PAINED ME TO PUSH YOU AWAY FROM ME. IT PAINED ME TO WATCH YOU LEAVE FROM MY OFFICE. IT PAINED ME TO SEE YOU CRYING BECAUSE OF ME.

"I cried because of you."

"I know. I am sorry. So so so sorry."

Pallavi sighed,"Atleast you are apologizing."

"So?"

"It's not easy, Rachit, to forgive you."

"I know."

"Give me some time."

***

"What the fuck? Why did you pull me out of the room?"

"Because it was mandatory for them to have a little talk."

"She's my little sister. I have to protect her—"

"She is my sister too."

"Then why did you allow Rachit to have a talk with her? That bastard doesn't deserve to be with my sister."

"Oh! Then, even you don't deserve to be with me. Because, at the end, Rachit and you are the same. He broke Pallavi's heart, and you broke mine."

"Don't compare me with that asshole."

"Oh? What are you then? A sweetheart?"