11

The news of the war circulated quickly, and in fear of what would happen, many nobles took their children out of the academy; choosing to hire private tutors for them instead. The public was in a lockdown of fear and trepidation.

3 years passed.

Looking out at the barren land, Sigrun clenched the hilt of his sword tightly. Sweat dripped down his head as his heart pounded in his ears.

*WOOOOOO*

The sound of a horn resonated throughout the battlefield and the cries of soldiers erupted like a volcano, stampedes of horses with armored men emerged from the distant horizon; Sigrun took his sword, his figure, which was only a bit smaller than any of the burly soldiers here rode bravely in the front of the army. He pointed his sword toward the sky, let out a cry, and charged forward.

Blood stained the ground, and men and horses fell, but a single figure stood tall amongst the sea of corpses. With a broken blade in hand, he raised it towards the sky. Dark clouds drew toward him from above. There was a loud rumble, and a flash of light flickered in the sky.

Sigrun lowered his hand and looked at the black clouds with a muddled mind; his blood still boiling from the battle. As he looked towards the sky, sparks of lightning erupted from the ground, growing closer to him by the second until he was surrounded by a ring of lightning.

Sigrun frowned, staring at the ring of lightning that jumped around him with vigilance.

The black clouds above him rumbled again, drawing his attention. Yet the moment he looked up, he saw a flash of light coming straight down on him. The speed of it was too fast, and he was too exhausted. He was unable to dodge.

A bolt of lightning struck him. Sigrun let out a blood-curdling scream, dropping the blade in his grasp and falling to his knees, clutching his head in anguish.

In that instant, for what felt like a million years; where a bunch of needles stabbed at his head, inducing the most painful migraine he could imagine, unfamiliar yet familiar memories flooded his mind. The pain that tortured his head with every memory he was given disappeared just like that...Sigrun let out a gasp of breath, staring down at the ruddy ground with a look of epiphany

His fingers dug into the ground, a ludicrous laugh expanding west and east on his face. Slowly, the red-haired boy stood up from his crouching posture, with a little bit of a stumble, albeit, but he stood upright.

Sigrun looked at the bloodied battlefield, let out a hoarse laugh,

"What is this... the 4th time? How much more are you going to sacrifice," He breathed out, the black above him slowly dispersing by the second.

"Kai?"

Esmond called out, his voice was cold and void of the familiarity of their childhood. Kai looked up from the book, his black eyes meeting amber ones. Seeing his acknowledgment, Esmond gritted his teeth, folded his arms, and leaned against the doorway with a sour expression.

"My mother wants to see you." Kai nodded at his words, closing the book shut but not before bookmarking the page. He got up and walked past the teenage prince. Just as he was about to pass him, he heard the other whisper in a contemptuous tone, "When are you going to leave?"

Kai stopped in his steps. Without looking back, he responded in a dull voice, "Soon."

The heroine will make her appearance, and soon...he'll have to leave.

After the death of his mother, the queen personally took him under her wings. She did the best in her power to protect him and his family's property, so when he was old enough, he could return and properly take care of the home.

Kai was very grateful to the queen, who was the closest friend of his mother and later grew to become his godmother.

He was grateful, but it was unfortunate that he and the prince have become astringed. Ever since that day, Esmond has been unable to look him in his eyes... but Kai did his best to persist. To follow the script of being a loyal follower.

And if the prince wanted him to leave, he would.