14

Because of Pomona's geographic location and configuration, most of its cities and residents were built around the massive lake in the middle of the continent. So my journey to the town of Mneme took a long time.

Though I can say the scenery along the journey was a nice change of pace from the castle I had to live in for the past 3 years, and the unique critters and creatures met along the way were a nice change of perspective.

In a way, I must thank the prince for asking me to leave. It truly is a blessing in disguise, I can feel the black haze that haunted me lifting off my shoulders. Though it does still hurt...I don't know why he suddenly hates me so much, did I scare him?

The scene of my mother's funeral repeated in my head. Although I don't remember when it happened, the fear and panic in his eyes were still vividly burned into my memories. Yes, it must've been when I mutilated that woman's face.

An angelic laugh suddenly left Kai's lips, making the person beside him lift his head. Kai gave the person beside him no attention, his full focus still on the depths of his memories.

A cold glint reflected off his eyes as the wagon they rode traveled under an arched cliff, submerging them momentarily in shadow. Kai silently thought to himself.

I still don't regret it. If I could do it again, I would.

Kai continued to look out the scenery, oblivious to the burning pair of eyes that stared at his figure obsessively. Sitting in the corner of the wagon and just 5 feet apart from Kai, with a white cloak draping over the upper half of his face, the conniving smile on his lips could not be hidden.

After another hour of moving, the owner of the wagon decided to take a break again, stopping at an empty field with tall grass and blooming flowers. Kai took a refreshing breath as he hopped off the vehicle, stretching his waist and neck after a long time of sitting.

There was a satisfying crack as I bent my waist, twisting and turning to remove the sore spots. I breathed a sigh of relief, walking to a tree that cast a shadow over the grass; I sat down comfortably and took out some preservable snacks from my bags.

I took a bite of the dried fish that was boiled in oil before, the saltiness of the snack immediately consuming my entire mouth cavity. I didn't dare to eat much of it and got out a flask of water soon to drink.

As I took a drink my the flask, I noticed from the corner of my eyes that the other person who traveled alongside approaching me. I stopped drinking, watching the person with caution.

"Haha, relax, little guy. I just wanna ask you some things." The person said as they pulled their hood down. Strands of silver hair streamed from his shoulders, looking slightly disheveled but the person's handsome appearance still shone through. Especially those green eyes, though he oddly had narrow iris'. He gave an embarrassed smile while scratching the back of his neck.

"I ran out of rations a few hours ago, may I have a few bites of your fishies?" For some reason, I felt like he was teasing me. 

I looked into his green eyes, and after finding no other intentions in them, I took out my bag of fried fish; offering the bag to him so he could take some himself. The man didn't hesitate.

With a small fish in his mouth, he leaned against the same tree as mine, sitting just a few feet away. He looked languid as he asked, "So why are you out here for? You look too small to be traveling alone."

I wanted to ignore him.

"Oh shit, I almost forgot to introduce myself. How rude of me! My name is Alcestis and I'm heading to the small town of Mneme. Do you know it?"

Mneme? Of course, I know it, that was where I was going. I secretly glanced at the man beside me, he was leaning back and closing his eyes, but it seems he was still waiting for a response. Although we were going to the same destination, I didn't actually know much about the town. I wanted to know more about this town. I don't know why, but there was this longing once I heard the name.

"Not familiar," I spoke out quietly while secretly cursing myself. I wanted to speak more, but my tongue always seemed constricted, only spitting out short rude responses!

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the man's shoulder shake. It looked like he was stifling a laugh. My eyes narrowed, what was so funny?

"Well," He coughed, "Mneme is a very very entertaining town! You should know about Pomona's agricultural status, right? Well, it just so happens that every day in Mneme town, flowers spout, and bloom! And when the breeze flies by, it's like a scene you can only see in your dreams! All the petals fly into the sky in a blaze of color, like a plethora of flames and ambers. It's truly beautiful..." He finished his words with a sigh and turned to look at me with his bright green feline eyes.

The image of a white cat with green eyes couldn't help but conjure in my mind. It looked quite cute.

"Ah..." Without me realizing my hands had moved on their own and touched the top of his silver head. He looked at me with wide eyes, I looked back at him in equal surprise. After a second of realization a warm but fuzzy feeling enveloped my chest, one I can only describe as an embarrassment. I quickly moved my hand away, and he burst out into laughter.

Seeing him laugh, my embarrassment grew, but I can still feel the paralysis on my face. I flicked my eyes away from him, muttering in a low voice. "Sorry," I didn't mean to. My tongue forced itself back before I could finish my own sentence.

"Haha, it's okay," His laughter subsided, the fish on his lips had long fallen out. "You just surprised me a little."

I looked at the fried fish that had fallen on the grass at some point, then at the flask of water in my hands.

'Remember, Kai. Make a friend,'

Mom...she always wanted me to make a friend. After a moment of contemplation, I silently took in a deep breath and stared resolutely at the man beside me.

With an idea in my head, I looked at the silver-haired man; he looked nice, a little mischievous, and dumb, but...I'm just cannon fodder, surely...it's fine to be friends with him, right? I don't recall him in the plot...and since I've practically been thrown out of the script because of the prince's demand, I'm safe!

I moved abruptly, which startled him a little. I secretly apologized in my heart, but even so, I moved in front of him; feeling the sun shine down on me from behind, I stood up and looked down at him, extending out my hands to him.

"Will you be my friend?"

Extra corner: Scene redraw.

Chapter 1: "Mom wants me to be your friend." -Kai

Follow me on Twitter for more redraws @Otto01340079656

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Follow me on Twitter for more redraws @Otto01340079656