19

"General, sir, the King has requested your appearance." A man in armor entered the tent, his eyes heavy and dark from fatigue. "It seems the peace agreement has been rickety... our soldiers have been reporting about how strained the atmosphere is whenever they have to confront one of those soldiers of Nestor...It's been nearly six months since the war ended, but our treaty is still not looking bright. At this point, sir, I'm afraid another war may break out."

Sigrun looked up from a stack of papers, glancing at the tired colonel with red eyes. "You say the king is here? Hurry and return to your post; don't say such unlucky things if you have free time."

The man sighed, saluted, and left the tent. Sigrun leaned back in his chair, took out a calling card, and sent a short message to Alcestic. "The temporary peace agreement between the two has strained; the King himself is coming to the front field to look at the situation."

After sending the quick message, Sigrun also left, leaving the table of paperwork unfinished. Yet if one looked closely enough, one would see in the corner of the table, where an inconspicuous stack of paper lay, a charcoal image of a man was printed on the surface of the top paper. 

Black hair and black eyes; his figure was thin and fragile.

The first time Sigrun had ever met Kai was on enemy lines. Under the armor and the blade that unobstructedly slashed down any enemy that was in his way, Sigrun thought he would become a prominent figure. A warrior that will once be on par with him. That was until he saw his face.

One look was all he needed to know. To know that Kai was not one fit for battle.

Instead, seeing the tender face with those limpid eyes; black, and seemingly filled with all the sorrow the world could hold. Sigrun couldn't continue looking at those eyes, the sadness he held affected him greatly, and the discomfort that arose in his chest wouldn't disappear for weeks. In those weeks, he couldn't stop wondering how those eyes would look if-if he lifted whatever sorrows followed the young man.

But he couldn't just go and find him. They were enemies fighting for their beliefs and their people. But through some digging he did find out information about him, it turned out he was the dog of Prince Esmond's.

"Kai Idunn."

Recalling the name, Sigrun looked at the reports in his hands. He seemed to be able to recall a similar face from the past, but comparing them now, the one he saw on the battlefield felt like a whole other person. The previous silent arrogance towards outsiders, and the unconditional obedience towards the prince... it felt like all of those were gone.

But the loyal dog that was always seen around His Highness, why was he on the front now? Miles away from the prince.

A pair of black eyes crossed his mind.

"Don't tell me the prince tossed out his most loyal dog like that? Hehe, he must've lost his worth in his eyes."

Sigrun stopped thinking about this small incident after a while. After all, it was just a small encounter, and the man was someone else's dog. He wouldn't waste his strength taming another man's mutt.

Sigrun never thought he would meet Kai again, but fate seemed to have its way.

Kai was captured. He became their prisoner of war. He still had the same expressionless face as on the battlefield; Sigrun wondered if he could make the other show any other expressions.

Yet even through the most vigorous torture and mental exhaustion, his face never changed. If it weren't for the small twitches in expression, Sigrun would've thought he had facial paralysis. If it weren't for the words of that snake bastard, Sigrun really would've stopped there. 

It would've saved both of them from the struggle.

It was a mistake. Sigrun regretted it. But he couldn't stop it. He was too arrogant and couldn't imagine himself falling for a nobody like Kai. It was laughable honestly, how he took advantage of him, yet he was the one acting like a victim.

Sigrun tortured him as a prisoner, yet also gave the other his only source of warmth. Kai had become dependent on him, and Sigrun subconsciously enjoyed this dependence. In his own ways, he pampered Kai, yet the chains still clinked under pressure.

The prisoner of war that he had taken in, Sigrun has subconsciously fallen for it. When did it happen?  He wasn't sure, be right now he knew... he was about to sell his first love off to the snake bastard to wed.

Each of them had their own past with Kai, yet somehow,  each one of them ignored his plights.

The blame couldn't solely be put on the saint, as they were the sole components in attributing to Kai's despair. It was just the saint that kept Kai from peacefully reincarnating, from moving on.

And although they all hated the idea of Kai leaving, leaving their world, the thought was less unbearable once they figured out a way to follow him. A way to follow him through worlds and life, to forever be tied together, to force fate to tie them together...so even death couldn't separate them.

Sigrun lifted his head, red eyes met amber. "It is an honor, Your Majesty."

The King dressed in an extravagant military uniform and waved his hand, motioning towards the youth standing slightly behind him. Sigrun's eyes flickered, recognizing the teen immediately. 

"Prince Esmond, you've graced the battlefield with your presence." He made another salute. The blue-haired teen nodded, barely sparing the other a glance.

"He'll be assisting the military force on the front lines. General Sigrun, I hope you can guide him well."

What a joke, the two subjects of the conversation both thought. He was just sending his son to death.

Sigrun looked at Esmond, a stiff smile coming onto his lips. "Then I welcome your highness." 

Author's corner:

And I got a drawing to share! Of Kai and Alcestic; full image is on my Twitter Otto01340079656