17

"Wah!"

Kai swiftly took a side step, turning his body just in time to dodge a conjured white blade. The blade that flew at him landed deep into the ground before quickly dissipating into the air in broke bright lights.

But this wasn't the end.

Quickly after dodging the attack, Kai had to dodge again, side-stepping around and twisting his body to avoid those deadly blades promptly. It dispersed in broken white lights in the same manner as the first blade.

This wave of attack came swiftly, in under ten seconds; which made Kai, at first glance, look like he was performing some special dance. The opponent hid his smile with his fist, but his eyes stayed focused on the slim figure of the youth.

After the wave of attack, Kai immediately went on the offense. Darting towards the taller male figure who promptly put up his own defense; against the transparent wall of light, that resembled a membrane, Kai adjusted his movement.

After landing a blow on the shield, Kai leaped back, yet instead of one pair of boots landing on the ground, it was two.

The male opponent looked at the two identical figures in slight surprise, the delight in his eyes unhidden. Kai took this sliver of his absentmindedness to his immediate advantage, two pairs of throwing stars gleamed under the sun, catching the attention of his opponent.

At the same time, the two Kai in front dashed toward him almost simultaneously. Seeing such a scene, his opponent inexplicably blushed but still moved back slightly to dodge the two's incoming attacks.

"I got you!"

The youth's voice brightly rang behind him. Alcestic was dumbfounded for a moment before looking behind.

It was another Kai, presumably the real one this time. Yet looking back at him, Al could clearly feel the sharp sensation of a needle pressing against his lower back but the pleasantness he felt from before didn't dissipate for whatever reason at all at this sudden stand-still. He looked back towards the two other Kais who gave him a curt smile in turn.

Al tried his best to restain the smile on his face but that made him look strained and annoyed In Kai's eyes. In the end, he patted the top of Kai's head, moving the youth's gaze away from him as he freely stretched the corners of his mouth into a big smile.

"That was impressive, Kai! But you know I always get caught off guard when you replicate yourself. By the way, when did you get behind me?"

Kai didn't react to Al touching his head, instead, he calmly replied to him in a very matter-of-fact manner, "It was right after I landed a hit on your shield. At that moment, I was preparing to use the spell and when the hit landed, the spell activated. While you were focused on the clone who jumped away, I managed to sneak to the side and get behind you."

Al smiled, sighing in contentment. "Ah, so that was how it was. Very well done, Kai." He retracted his hand from his head, letting them fall to his side. At the same time, Kai took away the needle that pressed against his back, secretly hiding them back away somewhere else.

"You've certainly grown quite proficient at magic, Kai. It's only been a few months and you can make two clones of yourself already!"

Kai nodded slightly at his ward, taking some steps back to make some room between them, and in a bashful stance he replied. "It's because Al is such a good teacher. Thank you."

"Ahahah! You're so cute, Kai!" Once again, Al went to rub Kai's head, making it even more of a mess than before.

"... Thank you."

.

.

.

I remember.

You were my master in my first life, and I also thanked you for training me.

Yet in the end, the Saint still took you away from me.

You sacrificed yourself to help us, to make sure we could rewrite our fate... yet we failed every time. But this time, this time...

I'm going to make sure we won't fall for that saint.

And I'm going to restore your memories, so you don't have to think of us as just 'characters'.

We won't let you sacrifice yourself again, we'll protect you... please don't leave us behind.

Extra Corner:

I've done my AP Hug exams, next up is Lang! Come at me, English! I'm prepared... 

Art Extra: Kai x Sigrun

Full piece is on my twitter @Otto01340079656

Who do you think I should draw next? What scene do you want to come alive?