Chapter 3

Dragon and Ivankov watched as a small dingy pulled off at the side of the Island. The dinghy was rocking violently in the storm. The storm had pulled off in the little Island since they had arrived. Dragon watched his father jump into the ocean and reach the shore, towards him.

Dragon didn't speak a word as he gave a little nod as a greeting to the elderly man, who pouted at the sight but understood nonetheless. Dragon led the man, after he wrung his shirt off to remove the sea water, to the little shack in a secluded area in the forest, where they were currently hiding.

Looking at the vicinity, Garp couldn't help but feel proud on his son for choosing such a good hiding place. No wonder nobody was able to track him.

After he had heard that Dragon had fled, literally fled, for the first time from his enemies, he was scared to find out if something was wrong. But luckily, Dragon called soon and gave him the news of his grandson. He could connect the dots and now understand why Dragon was missing and why he had fled that day. Dragon fled to secure his child, to not give up his identity to the world. He felt proud of Dragon for achieving his goal, even if he was on the opposite side.

The house was a small one but it gave a feeling of home to Garp. He could see the toys which were splattered everywhere in the hall, he snickered when Ivankov tripped on one of them. He and Dragon entered the room where his grandkid was.

He could smell the scent of the sea radiating from the little room. When his eyes landed on the kid, the first thing his heart and mind screamed was the kid was too adorable. He plopped on the large bed, legs crossed, and back against the wall. He saw Dragon pull up a chair and sit opposite to him.

Garp held the boy up from the bed and slowly and tenderly placed him on his lap, not wanting the smiling kid to wake up from his sweet dreams. The kid was mumbling something and drooling from his mouth.

"He's too adorable," Garp whispered in a hush tone, his face litting with joy at the sight of the baby. Gently caressing the cheek of the toddler with his massive thumb, he saw the little one scrunch his eyes and open them with a small yawn. 

The kid was blinking at him, with his head tilted, taking in the unknown face for the first time. The bright brown eyes met Garp's eyes as Garp's fingers ran through the kid's smooth hair. Garp felt his fingers stop altogether when he saw the intense gaze which landed on him. He felt as if a sword was placed on his chest, ready to pierce his heart and just waiting for one wrong move to finish his very existence.

The sound of waves crashing on the shore was clearly heard in the silent room. The rain was getting heavier, and the violent rustles of the trees and the waves crashing on the shore filled the room. Lightening crackled outside, making  the poor animals screech in fear. Even the inhabited Island seemed to roar as if it was given its own voice. And in the middle of all of this, they were in the middle of the room, waiting for something.

And then the baby smiled. Garp had never seen anyone give so big smile in his entire life. He failed to notice when the feeling, the pressure, and the force was altogether gone. He failed to notice when the turmoil of the wild beasts ended, when the roar which he heard altogether vanished. He just saw how the little guy squirmed in his lap, to find a better spot to lay down and sleep, to droll again as if nothing had happened.

"His name is Monkey D. Luffy," Dragon said, his eyes fixed on Luffy. That was enough to break Garp from his thoughts and slowly nod at his son.

"This child is not normal," Garp said as he raised his head to see Dragon in the eyes. "What are you hiding?"

Dragon reverted his eyes, refusing to meet that of his father's. His eyes were set on Luffy as if telling that Luffy was his child and he knows that he is not normal like the others but he would not tolerate anyone mockingly spouting nonsense at his son.