Chapter 2

15 years later...

"WHAT!" Vivienne's outburst at the dining table echoed throughout the entire mansion, capturing everyone's attention.

"The Emperor has summoned you to the palace," her father repeated, his expression reflecting his dissatisfaction with delivering such news.

"But why?" Vivienne inquired, her mind searching for a plausible reason.

"I'll go with you, big sis," Leopold offered, concern etched on his face.

"Leopold, His Majesty only requested Vivienne's presence. You are not allowed to accompany your sister," her father sighed, gently explaining the situation to his son.

Leopold's face fell, sulking in disappointment. Meanwhile, Vivienne's mind raced with thoughts.

'I've been living a peaceful life at home for the past 15 years, hiding away from the world. But now, it seems the story is about to unfold. I used to worry about my coming-of-age ceremony, but then I realized I'm not the main character in this tale. Usually, they only focus on the main character's ceremony in stories. To avoid any attention, I asked my parents not to make a big fuss about my coming-of-age event, so I could blend in with the other girls at the party. I haven't even met the potential female lead yet, maybe because they're too busy rebelling against their families. But why would the royal family be calling me? I haven't done anything remarkable to stand out.'

"Vivienne?"

"Yes?" Her mother's voice interrupted her deep contemplation.

"I'll accompany you and wait outside the royal palace. If something happens, you can quickly escape, and we'll return home together," her father offered his support.

"It's alright, Dad. As the daughter of Duke Ravenswood, I carry the protection and respect that comes with our noble name. No one would dare lay a hand on me. Plus, all those sword lessons I took will finally come in handy," Vivienne reassured her father with a confident smile.

Despite their worries, Vivienne's parents understood the dangers of defying the royal family. After dinner, Vivienne retreated to her room and began jotting down potential clichéd plotlines that she needed to be cautious of.

'Currently, I'm still not regarded as the evil villainess, so I believe I'm safe for now. However, if the emperor summons me to the palace, there's a possibility that he wants me to be engaged to the crown prince. This path is incredibly daunting, as the crown prince would resent being forced into a loveless marriage. Once the crown prince harbors animosity towards me, he would stop at nothing to paint me as the villainess in his story. Another potential scenario is that the emperor intends to manipulate me for his own purposes or the interests of others. I lack the strategic prowess of the protagonists in most stories, so I suppose I'll have to navigate these situations as they come. Neither of these scenarios sounds appealing in the least.'

'Regardless of the reason, I have the determination to survive. Since I'm now part of a story, the power of my determination will guide me to a happy ending. I've grown to cherish my current life so much that I refuse to let it end just because I'm afraid to enter the palace. I CAN DO THIS!' Vivienne mentally prepared herself, unaware that her blissful life was about to be engulfed in chaos.

Next Day...

'I think I understand now why the prince didn't want to build a castle with me in the past.'

Vivienne strained her neck, trying to catch a glimpse of the castle's towering tip. It was so tall that her neck grew tired from the effort.

"You must be Lady Vivienne Ravenswood." A well-dressed man approached her with a professional demeanor.