twenty two

picnics have been a reoccurrence between viktoria and tom. every friday after school they'd take the train and go to the hill. it was their spot. it was winter break, the friday before christmas. the group had decided after they spend time with their family they were going to meet each other to exchange gifts and party.

"i haven't gotten any gifts yet" viktoria groaned as she gazed at the sunset. she had been procrastinating it forever. it was three days before christmas, she knew all of the shops would be bustling with people and sold out of everything.

"do you want me to help?" tom queried, he knew viktoria hated crowds. now that it was close to christmas he knew the crowds would be worse than usual.

"if you don't mind, though you cannot tell anyone what they're getting" she said silently reminding him of the time he told ilya his birthday gift.

"it was one time" he groaned while handing viktoria a piece of salami, she hummed in thanks.

"yeah whatever, do you want to go tomorrow?" she asked turning her body to see tom. he was wearing his usual baggy jeans and cap, though this time he was wearing a sweater viktoria had gotten him once winter came. she had complained he had nothing warm enough to keep away a cold.

"whatever you want to do your highness" he said mockingly in a british accent.

"oh shut up!" she said laughing at the horrible accent

"you should teach me russian, so i can whip it out when ilya gets mad at me" he said smirking

"um... okay? it's not super easy, though i'm sure you're not trying to be fluent" she said, she really didn't want to. she hated teaching people, especially languages.

"just give me some insults!" he begged

«дегенеративное хуйло» she said trying to pronounce it enough for tom to catch on.

«дегенеративное хуйло» he said butchering it so much it almost make viktoria grimace

"okay, maybe a easier one... um... неудавшийся проект отца" she said, hoping it would be at least a little easier

"Неудавшийся проект отца" he said, it was better than the last though not amazing. he sounded very german.

"yeah there you go" she replied

"what does it mean?" he questioned, there weren't any hints in the words that were a little similar to english or german

"he was a mistake basically" she said smiling, it had been a joke between the two of that. he was in fact planned, her parents always like to bush they were both planned. that made them very uncomfortable hearing 'we tried for months' especially after they learned about sex.

"he's gonna love this!" tom gushed at the newfound word before stealing a sip of viktorias coke

"we should meet at one tomorrow, i'll meet you at your house since it's closer to downtown" tom said smiling at the girl who hummed in agreement. her eyes were closed as she laid down on her back. it was unusually bright that day, especially for winter. there was snow in the forecast that day, surprisingly it didn't fall which was a miracle for both.

viktoria was wearing a pair of toms jeans after complaining of how cold it was. her small frame was covered in a huge sweater and jacket, tom had inferred it was either her fathers or brothers.

"come lay down tom, enjoy the sun before it leaves and we have to go home" she mumbled opening her eyes to look at him. she watched as he scooted over and laid down next to her. his hand touching hera while he smiled dazed at her.