𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 8 × 𝘑𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯

"Conor, what do you want to drink?"

"Orange juice, please, bubby!"

I poured the juice into his sippy cup and followed the hyper boy to the breakfast table, where Sadie was sitting in her booster chair, bouncing a talking so fast that nobody could understand what she was saying.

I put Conor into his booster chair and handed him his cup, and Shayne put three plates of fried eggs on the table. Bennet put plastic plates of scrambled eggs in front of the twins.

My brothers and I sat down. "Okay, you can eat now," Shayne said.

Sadie squealed and shoved a handful of egg in your mouth.

"Baby, use your fork," I scolded.

Sadie picked up her plastic fork and shoveled more food into her mouth. Conor was tidily forking small bites into his mouth.

The difference between the two twins really was astounding.

Breakfast was quiet, until Conor broke the silence.

"Bubby," he said, "Where's Mommy and Daddy?"

My fork stopped halfway to my mouth.

"Uh..."

I glanced at my brothers. They shook their heads and shrugged.

I looked at Conor apologetically. "I don't know, buddy," I said.

"Maybe Daddy is just sad," Bennet said.

"But he or Mom hasn't texted or called me yet," I said in a low voice. "If they were going to be home late I think they would have told us."

Shayne sighed and shrugged.

When breakfast was over, Bennet washed the dishes and Shayne and I dressed the twins. We dressed Sadie in her favorite princess outfit and Conor in a normal pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Today they were going play at the park, so I wanted them in something comfortable.

The twins' outfits

The twins' outfits.

When we were back downstairs, Sadie ran over to Bennet and wrapped herself around his leg.

"Bubby!" she shrieked, jumping up and down. "We're going to go to the park!"

"No, we're not," Shayne said breathlessly. He scooped up Sadie and freed Bennet so he could finish the dishes.

"But I thought—" Sadie whined.

"We're going to go at dinnertime for a picnic, okay?" Shayne said. "Why don't you go play with Conor?"

"Okay," Sadie said. She slid out of his arms and zoomed upstairs.

Shayne let out a breath and leaned on his knees.