𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 14 𝘹 𝘚𝘩𝘢𝘺𝘯𝘦

Hey, readers! Yes, you! I just wanted to tell you really quick that I post updates and announcements about this book on my profile a lot, so if you don't want to miss anything, I'd appreciate it if you'd follow me or check my profile every so often. Thanks! Now please enjoy the chapter and tell me what you think!     -Love, Blue 💙

The car was silent as a grave on the way to my appointment.

When Jaison pulled up to the counseling center's doors, I sighed and made no move to get out of the car.

I knew this was for the very best and I needed to walk in those doors and fix myself, but...

"Do you want me to go in with you?" Jaison said gently. He put a hand on my shoulder. "I can call in and say I can't be there."

I shook my head and looked down at my lap.

"No," I said finally. "You need to make money. Your job is super important right now."

"Not more important than being there for you," Jaison said.

I started to get that queasy feeling in my throat again. I gulped it back as much as I could.

"I... I'll be fine," I mumbled.

"Shayne, seriously," Jaison said.

He shook my shoulder. I knew what he wanted, and I refused. I blinked hard and looked out the window.

"Shayne, look at me." He shook my shoulder again.

I glanced at him and wiped away tears with my palm.

"If you need me to be there, I want to be there," Jaison said slowly and seriously. 

"You are more important than money."

"I'll be fine," I whispered hoarsely.

Jaison gave me a look.

"I will!" I grabbed his hand in mine and looked him in the eyes. "Jaison, you need to go to work. The twins and you and Bennet need food. We need to pay for insurance. We need to pay for school. You need to work. Please?"

Jaison pursed his lips.

"I will be okay," I said. "Just do it for me, please?"

Jaison sighed.

"Fine," he said. "But only for you!"

I smiled at him, grabbed my backpack, and got out of the car.

Jaison stayed right where he was.

I gave him a shooing motion, and he gave me a concerned expression and reluctantly drove off toward Walmart.

I watched him leave, then turned and went into the center.

I went up to the front desk.

The lady there smiled brightly at me. "Are you here for an appointment?" she chirped.

I nodded. "Michelle Acre."

The lady clacked away on her keyboard and scrolled.

"Yep, it looks like you have an appointment for 10:12," she said. "She's with another client right now, but you can go wait in the waiting room and she'll be with you in about two minutes." She smiled again.

"Thanks," I said.

I walked into the waiting room and sat down next to a mother and her young daughter who was a few years older than Sadie.