22 | betrayal

"maya what did you do?" billie exclaimed.

"wha- what do you mean?" i asked frantically.

"why did you go to that party last night?!"

"claudia wanted to go so i said i'd go with her-"

"don't go to shit like that without me maya!" she put her hands behind her head in distress.

"what's going on?" i got concerned. "like what's wrong?"

billie looked at me for a couple seconds before picking up her phone from the dresser and throwing it at me. i looked at the phone and it was a video by paparazzi.

they were asking griffin questions.

"so griff are you and billie eilish still friends?" the paparazzi asked him.

"nah," he said before pausing with hesitance. he then looked behind himself and pointed to me while claudia and i were walking to the suv. "her girlfriend wouldn't like that."

my eyes got wide at the video.

after he said that, the paparazzi didn't even bother running to interrogate me because once they realized who he was pointing to, we were already in the car about to leave.

so they just continued to question him.

"what what??" they asked. "who's the girl? billie's with a girl??"

"all i know is that she's a fan of billie's that tricked her into leaving me for her," he shrugged. "i've said too much now i gotta go."

my eyes were wide as fuck. i put the phone down and looked back up to billie who was pacing back and forth.

"he- he said you guys got into it?" she looked at me, hella stressed.

"you talked to him?" i furrowed my eyebrows.

"well yeah maya! i had to talk to him because i asked if he could go on the media and say he was lying or some shit," b started. "but he wasn't tryna hear nun of that so."

"well i mean," i stuttered in fear. "you really can't see my face in the video."

"no. not in the video," b shook her head. "but you can definitely see your body and outfit. so you know what the press did? they released all the photos that they got of you last night from when you got to the party and when you were leaving. those pictures actually do have your face on it. nice and clear."

"what?" my eyes got wide.

"your face is all over the press maya!" she exclaimed. "you can go online and i bet the first thing you'll see is an article with you on the cover."

i shook my head in disbelief as i frantically went online. she was right. the very first thing was an article that read 'Billie Eilish Has a New Boo!" and then another that was titled 'Billie Eilish exposed by Ex- Boyfriend" and another that was titled "Billie Eilish Turned Gay for a Fan."

"i- i'm sorry b i really didn't mean t-"

"don't just- just don't," she stormed out of the room.

i heavily sighed. "fuck," i whispered to myself.

i looked around the room and saw that she already had her things packed because we were leaving rather soon. i sighed and got up from bed to pack my things.

my phone soon began blowing up from lou, to some of my teammates, to other people at my school all in my business, asking me questions.

i didn't text anyone back. lou called me but i ignored it. even claudia texted me saying she was sorry and i just ignored it. but it's honestly really weird that remy, the nosiest of all, didn't text me or anything.