002.

"steven I swear to god, if you look at that phone one more time, i'm putting it in the screen basket." laurel warned her son as she was annoyed he was too busy on his phone to enjoy the dinner they cooked.

"it's just we want to see your beautiful faces.
susannah said. "can dinner be a screen-free zone? you know like the olden days."

"with kids these days, no chance," sophia shook her head, acknowledging the challenge of detaching teenagers from their devices.

"steven." jeremiah said, the boy still not
looking up from his phone. so jere swiftly grabbed his phone and threw it across the room where the pillows were.

"dude, are you kidding me?" steven complained.

"boom! nailed it." jeremiah cheered.

"nice shot dude." cindy high-fived him. "those muscles are really coming in handy." cindy playfully complimented as jeremiah winked at her.

"okay, okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out." steven said, annoyed.

"oh you're just jealous because jere has a better body than you." belly commented.

"uh no, actually it's all about the lean look now.
otherwise you can't wear tailored suits." steven explained causing everyone to laugh.

"tailored suits." conrad chuckled.

"when are you leaving for training camp, man?" steven asked conrad.

you could immediately sense a tension coming from the fishers.

"uh he quit football." jeremiah said.

cindy looked at the boy. as far as she knew, football has been conrad's life. he loved playing the sport. what changed?

"wait really? you quit?" steven asked.

conrad confirmed his decision with a simple sound. "mmmh," he replied, lacking enthusiasm for the conversation.

"are you kidding me man? i'd kill to play college ball." steven explained.

susannah offered a glimmer of hope. "he can always change his mind," she suggested, acknowledging that conrad's decision might not be set in stone.

"i'm not gonna change my mind. i was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways." conrad announced.

"well if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?" laurel asked.

"oh dude you can work at the club." steven suggested. "yeah with me and jere."

"yeah." jeremiah agreed.

"i'm not gonna work at the club." conrad shook his head, rejecting the offer.

"wait you guys are working this summer?" belly asked.

"yeah i'm lifeguarding and steven's working at the snack shop." jeremiah explained, fist pumping steven.

"oh belly, cindy i almost forgot." susannah said, picking two envelopes and handing it to both girls. "i have a surprise for both of you."

"so this is why you had to stop by the country club." laurel scoffed.

sophia, however, was thrilled. "susannah, this is the best idea you've had," she exclaimed, showing her support.

"what, uh what what is that?" steven asked, curious.

cindy opened the envelope and began reading the contents, her face immediately lighting up with joy upon seeing the note.

"i wrangled both belly and cindy an invitation to be a debutante." susannah revealed, explaining the surprise.

cindy couldn't contain her excitement. the debutante ball was something she had been eagerly awaiting, envisioning the opportunity to dress up, have her hair and makeup done, and be a part of the grand event.

belly, however, wore a frown on her face. the idea of the debutante ball held no interest for her. "is that the thing where the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" belly frowned.

this is where the two girls were different. cindy loved the idea where as belly had absolutely no interest in going to a ball.

"it's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society." susannah explained. "i-i know it sounds silly, but i swear it's fun. girls come from all over new england to cousins just to be a part of it. you'll make so many new friends."

"i cannot believe you are still holding on to this archaic dream." laurel scoffed shaking her head.

"no, it used to be about finding a husband, but now it's about networking. they teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself, and it benefits charity. it's, um, like a bat mitzvah." sophia tried to convince her friend.

"it is not like a bat mitzvah. there is nothing religious about a debutante ball." laurel replied looking at her.

"the whole deb scene is bullshit." conrad cut in voicing his opinion. "it's for sheep."

cindy couldn't hide her disappointment at conrad's reaction. she had secretly hoped that he would be her escort for the debutante ball.

"yeah. no, it's not. it's when a girl has a coming out, it's a formal recognition she's reached maturity." susannah sighed looking disappointedly at her son. she was as well hoping that conrad would accompany cindy.

"oh, sorry. i'm sorry. mature?" steven laughed looking at his little sister. "belly?" the girl in question nodded her head. "a-a couple months ago you had a cat funeral. you made us all wear black."

"shut up, steven." belly exclaimed. "i saw you crying in your room."

"wait, mochi died?" jeremiah asked. "dang.
i'm sorry, bells."

"don't you guys want to get all dressed up?"
susannah sighed dreamily looking at the girls.

"yes!" cindy immediately nodded.

"it's just not belly's kind of thing." laurel spoke for her daughter. "she's our feral little alley cat."

"i'll think about it." belly finally decided.

"she'll think about it." susannah smirked proudly. "what about you cinderella?"

"i'm all in." cindy smiled.

"she's our sassy little fancy cat." jeremiah joked earning a slap on the shoulder from cindy.