009.

"honey?" susannah called out when she heard the front door close. she knew it had to be conrad because everyone else was busy. "hey, hon?"

"yeah?" the boy sighed, walking into the living room.

"would you change and meet me out back? i want to paint your portrait first." a warm smile spread across susannah's face as she looked at her eldest child.

"why me?"

"cause everyone else has things to do." she shrugged.

"i have things to do, too, mom." conrad replied bitterly.

"i think you can spare a few hours for your mother, hmm?"

"sure." reluctantly, conrad agreed.

"great." susannah beamed. "i'll see you outside in ten?"

"see you there." conrad replied as he began walking up the stairs.

"put on something nice." susannah yelled as she watched conrad disappear up the stairs. she decided to do conrad's portrait out on the dock. by the time she was done setting everything up conrad had finished changing and was waiting for her.

"you ready?" the blonde woman questioned.

"i guess." conrad shrugged nonchalantly, taking a seat.

"so... how's nicole?" susannah questioned breaking the silence.

"mom, can we not do this?" annoyance flickered across conrad's face as he spoke with a hint of frustration. "you asked me to come sit for this portrait, and i'm here, and i'm sitting, and i'm more than happy to be here, but can we not make this, like, a bonding experience, please?"

susannah's face softened. "well, excuse me for trying to connect with my son before he leaves for a whole year." she sighed and continued painting. "cindy looked really nice in her dress."

"i'm sure she did." conrad mumbled.

cindy looks good in anything.

"i always liked you two together," susannah smiled.

"mom, me and cindy are just friends." conrad protested. "there's nothing there."

"i wasn't talking about cindy." susannah gently tilted her head. "i was talking about nicole."

caught off guard, conrad fell right into his mother's trap. "oh,"

"look, if you want to spend your summer moping around, i can't stop you, but no more sleeping till 2:00, no more day drinking. i want you doing something productive. you're getting a job."

"sure." conrad agreed.