chapter 2: thinking with my head

Yours~>

Trying to hold myself back from putting my hands on Jay, I asked him again what made Neha hit him.

"What? No! I was simply doing what you asked and she thought I was trying to rob her." Jay says, shaking his head.

Thinking about her past life with her ex husband I realise that she may had been feeling scared.

Since all the messed up shit he'd done to her had probably triggered the reaction, it made sense that she acted like that.

"Don't think too much about it, Jay alright? I'll call Samir to find out if she's okay." I tell him as I take my phone away with me from the office.

"Try finding me some frozen peas or something for this!" Jay calls out, making me grin.

Finally shutting the door to the office, I press Samir's number.

After seconds of waiting he answers, "Salam, who is this?"

"Do you not check who's calling you before you answer?" I ask him, shaking my head.

"Oh it's you." He replies, laughing.

"Yeah it's me. Anyways is- uh is Neha okay?" I ask, nervously.

"My mum's in her room feeding her fruits so I'm pretty sure she's fine." Samir replies.

"Thank god." I murmur in relief.

"Why?" He asks, curiously.

"I'll fill you in on it later man." I reply, quickly.

"But why would-" He asks but I already hang up on him.

I felt a little bad for him but both he and I knew I'd talk to him later about this so it really wasn't a problem.

Knowing that Neha had whacked Jay on the face was the problem.

That problem was because of me and my stupid way of caring and thinking I'm doing the right thing.

Think with your head not your heart, Haadi.

"Asalamulaikum!" Hala shouts as she walks through my office door, in the afternoon the next day.

"Walaikumsalam, sis." I reply, looking up to her with a smile.

"How's my favourite brother?" She asks, eagerly.

Obviously I was her favourite brother but seeing as she had a ton more energy than usual, I knew something was up.

"Alright, what's the problem?" I ask, getting up from the chair.

"Hahaha... what do you mean?" She asks back, sitting on the chair opposite the desk.

"Hala get to the point, please?" I ask, leaning against the edge of the desk.

"Okay, fine! You know how Baba said that we should go to that fruit farm with him?" She says with a smile.

Baba wanted us to go with him to the fruit farm as a family day outing and because he knew that my sister in law, Noor had been obsessed with strawberries ever since she'd found out that she was pregnant.

When I found out I was going to become an uncle, I was beyond thrilled for my brother and his wife.

It felt great knowing that they were still together and brining a new life into this dunya after all they went through to get there.

"Yeah?" I reply, furrowing my brows.

I didn't really know what my sister would say next because of the way she has no filter.