chapter 22: flowers

Mine~> 8 months pregnant

"So..." I say, curiously.

"Soo...what?" Hala replies back, looking at the pink peonies in front of her.

It had been a month since Elias's fathers death and there was no sign of him since that day Haadi, Samir and Khalil were with him the day after.

From what I know Elias had left at night but left with nothing.

Other than his phone and his motorcycle keys.

But no sign of him since.

Both of us were currently in the florist shop at 6pm, looking for flowers to make a bouquet for Noor since she was finding out the gender of her baby today.

"Pink? You think it's a girl?" I tell her, nudging her shoulder.

"Not sure but she's always seemed like a girl mum, right?" She says, turning to me.

"Hmm, I'm thinking boy, Hala." I say, taking a glance at the blue tulips.

"So you're blue and I'm pink?" She asks, nodding.

"Yep." I reply.

After the florist puts together the bouquets and we pay, Hala starts rambling.

And this wasn't her normal rambling.

I could tell something was bothering her which wasn't that hard to think of what. But who.

"And that's why my uncle had pneumonia!" She exclaims, causing the people walking past us to stare.

"Yallah Hala, what's been going on? I've been asking and waiting but my Sabr while being pregnant only lasts for so long." I tell her, making her crack.

Looking for somewhere to sit after breaking her gaze with me, she says, "Last month... it was just a lot. Not because of that boy trying to do what he did in the gym but, but-"

"But because of Elias?" I ask, causing her to gasp while putting a hand over her head.

"How did you know?!" Hala responds.

"Well his father was killed, i didn't really know anyone else who would've came to mind." I replied.

Nodding she sighs, "Don't judge me, It's not like I like him or anything but he's kind of always been there and when I heard his father was killed I already knew he'd been shattered. I mean his cousin was killed in the summer and it doesn't take much for anyone to figure out how much it would've cost him. But now he's just kind of... vanished I guess."

"Wouldn't Khalil know his whereabouts though? They're best friends aren't they?" I ask her.

"They are but since he left, khalil only had one phone call with him and that was a week after he'd left." She shakes her head.

"Do you want me to tell you what you want to hear or the honest truth?" I ask, leaning back on the bench.

"The honest truth of course, Neha." She nods.