chapter 4

Jasper

"So...." I say to Maverick as I follow him through the lobby.

"Yeah?" he asks not stopping to pay me any attention.

"I didn't know," I tell him.

"Yeah, I gathered that." He's quiet for only a moment before speaking again. "I'm just going to upfront with you, might save you a little time. I don't need a dad. I'm telling you right now I might share your DNA, but my mom is my number one no matter what. You do something to fuck with her we will have a problem."

I don't really take kindly to threats, but I can't blame the kid. Hell I actually respect him for the way he is about addie. "I'm not going to fuck with her. I should have came back. I wanted to do what was best for her. I didn't think I was it."

"Yeah, well maybe if you would have came back none of this would have happened."

"Can you tell me what's happening so I can help?"

"I won't do that." He shakes his head. "If mom wants you to know she'll tell you... whatever she decided she'll be safe either way. I won't let anything happen to her."

"Something already did happen to her."

"Yeah I know, I was late home. That won't happen again."

"I heard some of your conversation outside. I'm happy you stood up for your mom. She raised a good man."

"Yeah, and she did it all by herself." I can feel the resentment in his words. It send a shock of pain right through my chest.

"I'm sorry." I hang my head. I have never felt more shame in my life.

"I don't care anymore. All I care about is that my mom is safe. If she decides to tell you what's going on, I need you to promise me you'll help."

"I promise I'm going to help both of you. I'm not taking no for an answer. I'd like for you both to come back to California with me, where I can keep you safe."

"It's up to mom, I'll go wherever she decides. I doubt it'll be California though, just a heads up."

"Why not California?"

"Because it's where you live?" He says it like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Come on, we can talk in my office." I hear addie say behind me. "Mav, can you eat up at the counter and come grab me if anyone needs anything until Jeff gets back from break."

"Sure thing mom" He nods filling up his plate as I follow addie.

When I walk in her office the first thing I notice are the pictures on the shelf. A young addie and a little boy, my son. The one that caught my eye the most was a picture of them on the beach. Maverick couldn't have been more than nine. "Where was this?"

"Santa Barbra. Cara got married in California, it's where her husband's family is."

"You were in California?"

"Yep," she says popping the P before sitting down in her chair, and motioning for me to take a seat across from her.

"I'm sorry addie," I tell her honestly as I sit down resting my elbows on my knees.

"It was a long time ago jay. I knew you weren't coming back after the first couple years. I got over it." She shrugs like it doesn't matter to her at all.

"I should have came home."

"No point in the should of, could of, would ofs. Just tell me what abel said to you, he was checked out by time I got here this morning."