chapter twenty

*author's note*
Here to remind you that the season calendar I'm following is absolutely fucked up and not even close to how it is in reality ;)
Enjoy!

-§-

Summer break had come to an end, and with that all the daily hangouts Alya was getting used to. She had bonded with Louisa, spent time with her friends, enjoyed the beach and - somehow - talked more with Charles. 

Were they friends? Probably no, that wasn't the right term for it. They just felt comfortable now. Whenever they felt like they needed to talk to someone, they would go to each other - no questions needed and no judgement in the way. 

Lando and Pierre were convinced there was something else. They could see the tension there was between them. Every time they sat next to each other - on the boat, at the restaurant, on a bench at the park, it didn't matter - they would exchange looks that felt like care and passion. Even though they swore they didn't feel anything for each other. They would deny even the obvious friendship-like bond they had built over the past few weeks.

Now, they were back on the grid. The bubble they had created, where they were all just themselves, had been popped. It wasn't just them anymore. There were media, fans, cameras and gossips around them, not one free moment to enjoy their friendship like normal people anymore.

Of course, they had met fans over the break. But it was different. On the grid they couldn't just hide, they couldn't throw on a hat and glasses and pretend they were invisible - like little kids - and they couldn't just sneak around and pretend to be someone they weren't. 

They were back to reality. They were back to wearing their team colors, and having rivalry, and being chased by people all around. Phones and cameras always pointed, waiting for them to fail.

Everything felt grey, and distant, and lost. 

They were in Monaco for the race. It was thursday, which meant media day. Alya mostly stayed at home, since she had some errands to run and videos to film. Then she made an appearence on the paddock, to say hi to Lando while he was on break. 

Her and Carlos were on weird terms. They were still speaking, but she didn't feel as comfortable around him as she used to. Which was weird - it was one of the things she thought would've never changed. She waved at him as they walked past each other, while he smiled warmly at her and mouthed a 'sorry' as he ran up to fans. 

She kept walking towards the McLaren motorhome, meeting her friends on the way and exchanging a few words with them. Yet, as she waved at Charles while passing by, he turned the other way and ignored her. Saying she was surprised was an euphemism. 

She frowned, confused, but kept on walking. She thought they were on good terms? What the hell was that? 

"Good morning sunshine" Lando greeted her, hugging her from the side. She giggled.

"Good morning to you papaya" she laughed.

"Only I can call myself papay" he pouted.

"Get over it big boy" she laughed.

They walked to the coffee machine, grabbing a cup and getting out between motorhomes. As soon as she saw Kika she quickly waved goodbye at Lando and ran towards her.

"You're here too that's great!" she said. Kika smiled and quickly hugged her.

"Just for today and race day probably" she said sadly. "Are you staying the whole weekend?" 

"Yes" she said. "Let's see how it goes" she smiled. 

"How was last week? I haven't had much time to text or call" she said. Her and Pierre had gone to Sardinia for a few days.

"It was good" she nodded. "I always enjoy breaks" she giggled. Kika agreed. "How was the week in Sardinia?" she then asked.

"It was nice, lots of sun and good food" she giggled. "And quality time with Pierre, which is always the best part" 

"Admit it, you actually prefer pasta to him"

"That's a secret no one ought to find out" she laughed. They talked a bit, walking around to kill time.

"I have a weird question"

"Shoot" Kika smiled.

"Hypothetically, let's say you thought you were making progress with someone, right?" she started. When Kika nodded, waiting for more information, she kept talking. "And you thought there was something, like some sort of bond or whatever. But then, one day, that person ignores you. What does that mean?"

"Hypothetically, have you said or done something that might've pissed off this person?"

"I don't think so" she said. "Hypothetically" she added immediately after.

"Of course, hypothetically." Kika smiled. "Well, hypothetically, I'd say there's either something that's bothering him or something he doesn't know how to tell you or deal with"

"But we tell each other a lot of stuff. The bonding is all about deep talks! Hypothetically" she said, discouraged.

"Maybe someone told him something? I don't know Lya. I can try to ask Pierre, maybe he knows what's going on with Charles" 

"Yeah, maybe" her eyes widened. "Was it that obvious?"

"I mean, you've been talking about him non-stop for the past few weeks..how infuriating, caring, deep, shitty he was. Everyday you had a different description"

"Not everyday..."

"Yes, everyday" Kika laughed. "I'm sorry, but I think there's something you don't want to see there"

"What do you mean?"

"I think you care about him more than you want to admit to yourself, Lya"

"As if" she scoffed nervously. They had been talking more, yes. But she didn't care about him that much. Right? He was lunatic. One day he would be kind, the next he would be colder. If they were in a group hangout he would be distant but if they were drinking coffee together at their café - since he had showed it to her they would go there together every morning - he was open and warming.  She couldn't understand the sudden changes in his mood, it confused her. 

"Whatever you say. But when you'll realize it I'll be there to tell you" she started to say. Alya interrupted her.

"I told you so? Yeah, there's the line" she rolled her eyes. 

"Hey! Don't roll your eyes at me young lady" Kika laughed. 

They talked a bit more, getting interrupted by Pierre and Lando walking up to them. 

"Shall we?" Pierre said, stealing a kiss from his girlfriend. She pulled him in for another kiss, more passionate.

"Okay, okay, get a room you two" Alya said, putting a hand in front of her eyes jokingly. Pierre laughed, taking it away. 

"Will do" they winked, before walking away. 

"Disgusting!" she yelled laughing, them laughing with her. 

"Shall we as well?" Lando said. 

"Only if I drive" she smiled innocently. He rolled his eyes, hesitantly handing her the keys.

"Please be careful" he begged. She took the keys from his had and started running towards his car.

"As if I wasn't always" she laughed, then drove off as soon as Lando put on the seatbelt.

Somewhere between the motorhomes, Charles was thinking about her laugh.