4- last kiss

"I never imagined we'd end like this"

daphne

present; narrative + instagram

Today was the last Saturday before the school year started and much to my dismay Olivia was dragging me along with the cheerleaders to some athlete party. Highschool me was thrilled at the mention of parties, especially with all the sports teams but I was quickly humbled with the realization that drunk teenage boys don't want to be friends, they want one thing from the cheerleader and that's it. Now parties were just ok to me, people matured now but it still mainly consisted of the same horny drunk behavior that I would have to shut down by telling them I liked women.

"You know I'm shocked this is the first party you're going to." I said to Brynn who was getting ready next to me. Liv extended the invitation out to Brynn who technically didn't do any sports for the school but emotionally she was a cheerleader at heart. Brynn was a homebody, preferring to stay home and binge watch Criminal Minds then to go out. That's what I loved about her so much, there was never any pressure to do anything with her because she was so simple.

"Parties aren't my thing Daph, you know that." She groaned. She only started hating parties in junior year, our first real high school party that we went to. Of course Brynn showed up in a knit sweater getting many remarks that she looked like Rory Gilmore.

I ignored her, continuing to straighten my hair. The dark brown color was starting to fade and now I miss my blonde more than ever. The brown brought my eyes out but I hated how I almost felt unrecognizable. The only reason Caitlin had recognized me was by my eyes that you could spot from miles away.

I tried to brush off the way Caitlin looked at me. I never imagined seeing her again, especially in those circumstances but being face to face with the girl I once loved was awful. I saw how her face contorted in guilt when she saw me, she knew she hurt me. She broke me in ways no one could imagine and yet there she was staring at me like no time had passed. I knew she wouldn't have told her teammates. The whole reason for our breakup was for her to start a new life, one in the spotlight without me. To me she was just Caitlin Clark, the person she had introduced herself as.

The loud knocking at the door broke me out of my thoughts, running to find Olivia and a few other cheerleaders I'd met over the last few weeks. They all looked amazing, coming inside after hugging me. Liv had a bottle in her hand, setting it down on the counter and grabbing my shot glasses. Now I know I'm nineteen but we've all done it.

She poured all of us a shot, even one for Brynn when she came out before we clinked our glasses together and downed it. I tried to ignore the familiar burn in my throat. New York parties were much more intense then any Iowa parties had ever been but Coach had always told me I couldn't be seen in those environments. It would ruin my reputation and her own, so while my friends partied I practiced and worked out till I couldn't feel my legs.