chapter 16

Amara's POV

I opened my eyes.

I felt a calm and cooling presence around. It might be my imagination as I tend to hallucinate most of the time. But nevertheless, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than here if it gave me peacefulness.

I was laying down on a soft mattress. It was so comfortable laying there that I didn't want to get out of the bed but I knew I had to if I wanted to know where I was.

So I lifted myself up from the pillow and slid my legs down the bed. I looked down at myself and saw that I was wearing a white floral sundress.

It was pretty.

I stood up and looked around myself to see that I was somewhere yet nowhere.

It was completely white over here. The floor, the sky. I couldn't even see the horizon as I stood on my tip toes to find something or someone.

Am I finally dead? Is it over?

A genuine smile creeped up my face. But the smile was quickly wiped out of my face as I realised that I didn't know where I actually am.

Am I in heaven?

I walked straight ahead, not stopping until finally I heard something.

It was a whisper I think. Not quite audible but yet a hushed voice. I try to concentrate so that I could hear what it was saying.

And then I heard it.

"Amara...." I spun around as the source of the voice was behind me.

"Hello?" I called out and waited for a reply but got none.

And then suddenly, the background changed.

I was back in the basement.

The basement that I had loathed my entire life.

"Amara. Amara. Amara." I heard someone chuckle and I damn well knew who it was.

I see Cole standing before me with his hands in his pockets and with a grin on his face that sent shivers down my spine.

My eyes widened in fear and like always, I did what I had been doing my life.

I hid.

I huddled towards the corner of the basement. My safe spot, even though it was not much safe.

Why do I always cower? Why?

Tears pricked my eyes as I realised the reason behind it.

I am always alone.

No one was there to protect me and no one was going to be there to protect me.

"WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME!? JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!" I yelled and sobbed my heart out.

And then suddenly, I saw 5 figures arise from the shadow.

I sniffed and rubbed my eyes to rid of the tears that blurred my vision.

Squinting my eyes, I focused on the figures ahead of me. And the sight before me made my blood run cold.

My brothers. My step brothers.

"No no no. What are you doin-" before I could even finish my words, a scorching pain radiated through my right cheek. The impact made me jerk my head to the side.