Chapter-30

I was in my room picking out which outfit to wear to the special occasion when I heard a knock on the door, a specific knock, two in quick succession and then three after a pause

I was in my room picking out which outfit to wear to the special occasion when I heard a knock on the door, a specific knock, two in quick succession and then three after a pause. I knew who stood on the other side and I told him to come in.

Kai enters the room, "You are going to make at least one of your brother's throw up today." I laugh at his comment, "Yeah I know, it's gonna be awesome. I'm betting it's gonna be Alvise. That guy does not have a strong stomach."

Kai's smile slips from his face as he attempts to hide the conflicted expression, I know what it's about, I was dreading this conversation, partly because I knew exactly how it would go.

"Hey, what's going on with the two of you anyway?" I ask Kai, and his eyes widen, an expression of guilt, like he had done something horrible by even thinking of my brother. "Nothing I swear, we haven't talked since the hospital."

"Kai, relax. I'm not angry or anything, I just want to know what's going on with you? The syrup thing at breakfast and then just now with the sad puppy expression, you still have feelings for him don't you?"

Kai gives an obviously exaggerated scoff, "What? Me? Still have feelings? Come on, that is absurd. You are so off here." I sigh, "I won't hate you if you still like him you know. You can't really control your feelings."

Kai tries mentally to retaliate but gives up in the end with a sigh. "He was just so bad to you. I don't want to have feelings for someone who is a bad person."

I take a seat on my bed and pat the bed to make him come sit as well. "You remember how when we were eight or nine and Maria got really angry with me so she invited some of her shit friends over to teach me a lesson and I couldn't walk properly for two whole weeks and you had to sneak in food for me at school."

Kai nodded along with a confused expression on his face, "What is the point of that story?" "The point is that I have been through worse than some angsty teenage boy with mommy issues. So when I say that I couldn't care less about him I mean it. I might not forgive him yet for being an asshole but that does not mean I want you to stop doing what you want."

A slow smile creeped up to his face. "How the hell are you literally the best?" He asked as the hugged me. "I just am. That is my emotional capacity for the day, help me pick out my outfit, we're torturing someone today!"

After Kai and I were ready, we headed downstairs where the rest of my family were waiting. My father looked towards me "You look great darling. Ready to go?"

"Just a second." I turn to Kai as he takes out a bottle of vodka from the bag he had been carrying and two shot glasses, pouring the liquid in the glasses he handed one to me and took one himself, clinking our glasses together I finished the drink in one sip. And turned back to my family.

My father looked at me with wide confused eyes but my eldest brother spoke up behind him, "I've stopped questioning it at this point, just smile and give her a thumbs up." And my father did exactly that though his smile looked more like a grimace.