1.2.1 "Run Boy Run"

Grace puts on a vinyl record. It's time for dinner. She rings the bell to notify the Hargreeves. It's time.

Everyone rushes to their seats, with the youngest Hargreeves at the end of the table, [name], no older than 6 or perhaps 7. Sir Hargreeves enters the room, once he gets to his spot at the table he commands the children to sit, which they do.

Eventually throughout the awkward silence five stabs a knife into the table.

"Number five." Sir Reginald reprimands.

"I have a question." Five's glare is piercing, even when he was 13.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal but you know the rules. No talking during meal times. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time travel."

"No."

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jump, just like you said." He stands up, and blips over to sir Reginald's side. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice,  the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason your not ready."

Vanya shakes her head, warning five not to push father to hard.

"I'm not afraid." Five defends.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five glares at the ground before storming off.

"Number five! You haven't been excused! Come back here!"

Five exits the house. He walks before powering up his power and jumping forward or even backwards in time. It's spring or perhaps summer.

"Not ready, my ass." He grits his teeth and tries it again, this time leaping to a winter. The snow and ice everywhere.

The last jump he makes he sees the buildings in rumbles and stops jumping through time. The building is destroyed and on fire, as is all the buildings around. He panics and runs back the other direction, to where his house is.

It's burnt and in ruins like all the others, the fires burning. He looks around, in hopes to find anyone. "[Name]!?" And yet again, "Vanya!? Ben?? Dad! Anyone?!?"

He tries to jump through time again, powering up, but unfortunately it isn't working. "Come on! Shit.."

"I survived on the scraps." Current five explains. "Canned food, cockroachs, anything I could find. You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life?" Vanya nods. "Well it's total bullshit."

"I can't even imagine."

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it."

"We?"

"You got anything stronger?"

Vanha powers him some sort of acholic drink. (I can't see the label-) Vanta stares at five, in confusion or some other sort disbelief.

"You think I'm crazy."

"No.. it's just.. it's a lot to take in."

"Exactly what don't you understand?"

"Why didn't you just time travel back?"

Five scoffs. "Gee wish i'd thought of that. Time travel is a crapshoot. I went into the ice and never acorned. You think I didn't try everything to get back to my family?"