Chapter 11

Same day at Natatorium

After parting ways with Wonyoung, Danielle returned to the school natatorium. The coaches were now presenting Danielle's stats and everything she needed to know and improve.

Danielle listened intently to everything. She wanted to win, and she was determined to do so.

The rest of the afternoon was spent discussing more strategic plans. They allotted only a small amount of time for actual swimming practice to preserve their energy for tomorrow's game.

"Danielle, since you're competing in the individual medley category, we know you're feeling more pressured," the head coach started.

"We also know that things haven't been easy for you these past few days, considering you also have another competition you've been preparing for," she continued. "So, we just want to let you know that whatever happens, whatever the result may be, you've already proven yourself to us, and we're proud of you, okay?" The head coach shocked Danielle with her pep talk.

Nevertheless, Danielle felt touched and happy, like a weight being lifted off her shoulders.

She thanked all the coaching staff and her teammates. "I will try my hardest to win and defend the title," she told them.

--------------
Next day, Swimming competition.

Danielle was thankful that their school was hosting the competition. It spared her from the hassle of packing her things if the competition were hosted by another school. Plus, it meant she had home-court advantage.

Taking a peek from the dugout, Danielle could see lots of students watching from the stands, wearing ADOR University's uniform. Ice and Matt were in the front, holding a banner with her name and cheering for her.

She also noticed Wonyoung in the crowd, seated next to her classmates. Wonyoung raised her fist in support when she noticed Danielle, as if saying "you can do it." Danielle smiled and waved at her, and Wonyoung waved back.

And, of course, she noticed Haerin, wearing her annoyed expression, probably because of the noisy cheering from everyone. She probably didn't want to watch the competition but had no choice because Hanni and their class president might have forced everyone in their class to watch the game since Danielle, their classmate, was a representative.

She watched as Haerin glared at everyone who screamed near her ears. She really couldn't stand noises.

Danielle thought she looked cute.

"Dani, how are you feeling?" Leesoo pulled her back to the dugout and held her shoulders.

Danielle looked at her and smiled. She had been feeling nervous earlier, but now it was all gone after seeing the support from their school.

"To be honest, I'm just excited right now," she said.

"You're not nervous?" Leesoo asked. She shook her head no.

"Not at all?" Leesoo asked again. Danielle laughed and answered, "No, not at all. I think the cheers from our friends completely took away all the nervousness I had earlier."

Leesoo sighed. "Figured. Besides, you've been competing for so long. I'm pretty sure you're used to this kind of atmosphere already," she concluded. "I am nervous, though. This is my first time," she added.

Danielle tapped her back. "You're a good swimmer, Leesoo. You always do well in practice, and you are the most consistent among us. That's why I know and I'm confident you would do well," she encouraged her.

Leesoo sighed and nodded. "Yes, I can do this," she said quietly, almost whispering.

"Yes, you can," Danielle smiled at her.