Chapter 13

Competition day

The competition is on the verge of commencing, and Danielle and Haerin find themselves seated next to each other, just like the other contestants. They're in a spacious room at JYP University, which can comfortably accommodate over 10 pairs of candidates from different schools.

Each pair shares a single table, equipped with a small whiteboard, a marker, and an eraser. Additionally, they've been provided with blank sheets of paper and pencils to use as scratch paper for mathematical questions.

Although Danielle feels a slight nervousness, it's not overwhelming. Perhaps it's because she knows she's not doing this alone, or maybe it's because Haerin's calm demeanor is contagious, helping to ease her own nerves.

The two of them remain silent as they await the start of the competition. They've already agreed that Danielle will be the one to use the marker and write answers on the whiteboard. Mrs. Lim has also reminded them not to argue during the competition.

Both girls assured Mrs. Lim that they would work well together. Danielle was determined not to start an argument with Haerin just to get her attention. She had made up her mind to move on and try to forget her feelings for Haerin.

Knowing they would be classmates for the next two years, Danielle understood it would be difficult, and the process would be slow and painful. But she was willing to endure it if it meant finally being free from heartache.

There were many things she needed to stop doing in order to move on. First and foremost, she had to stop thinking about Haerin so much. She also needed to stop bothering her, stop seeking her attention, and most importantly, stop believing she had a chance with her.

However, she couldn't help but silently enjoy the time she spent with Haerin, in close proximity with her, and representing the school together. But she could do it in silence only, she shouldn't be vocal about her feelings anymore.

"Stop staring," Haerin murmured, interrupting Danielle's thoughts.

Danielle hadn't even realized she was staring at Haerin. It was like muscle memory. She was so accustomed to gazing at her that it felt like second nature.

That's another thing she needed to remember if she wanted to move on: stop staring at Haerin.

Danielle sighed. She should be making a list by now.

"Sorry," she quietly replied, looking down at her hands resting on the table.

Haerin raised her eyebrows, not accustomed to this subdued version of Danielle. Normally, if Haerin told her to stop staring, Danielle would just smile widely and say, "Can't help it, you're too gorgeous," or something along those lines.

But maybe she was just nervous.

Haerin's brow furrowed. That couldn't be good for them. Haerin thought.

"Are you nervous?" Haerin asked, her tone tinged with mockery. Danielle immediately replied, "No, I'm not."

"Good," Haerin responded. Danielle almost raised an eyebrow. Is she worried that I'm nervous? Her question was answered when Haerin spoke again. "You can't be nervous, or you'll ruin our chances. Don't make winning hard on me," she added.

That was harsh. Danielle felt offended. She wanted to retort but decided against it. They'd only end up in an argument again.

She sighed and ignored Haerin's remark.

After a while, the host of the quiz bee finally announced that the competition would start.

Danielle straightened her seat and grabbed the marker, placing the whiteboard at the center of the table. She looked at Haerin, who also sat up straight, waiting intently for the next announcement from the host.