Christmas' Eve

Lia

"Merry Christmas!" I cheered as I hugged Mom and walked into the house, with the huge bag of gifts in my hand.

"It is not midnight yet, Crazy Woman," the douchebag yelled from the living room.

"Nobody asked you anything!" I yelled back.

Mom chuckled and whispered, "He is right, you know? You wish once it's twelve."

"But, I am so excited. I couldn't wait and he always does that," I pouted.

"Just between you and me, girl. Who said we have to tell him that?" she winked at me.

I gave her a cheeky smile and we walked to the living room.

Aaron and Amy waved at me, and Drama Queen ignored me while Josh smiled at me as mom settled between them.

"Sorry for coming a little late," I apologised.

It was nine already. We were supposed to meet at seven-thirty and I know they would have been waiting for me for dinner.

"Why didn't you call? I told you we'd pick you up," Amy told me.

"Nah! That's fine. I had a late shift. Besides, I had to go home and grab these presents first," I told them holding the bag up.

"You didn't have to," Aaron told me.

"Of course, I had to. It's Christmas," I frowned.

"But, you are a student. So, you get the leverage," Josh said.

"Come on. They are not even that expensive and I am sure all of you would have got something for me as well," I said and sat down to arrange them below the massive Christmas tree.

"Don't you think you consider yourself way more important to this family than you should?" Drama queen scoffed.

"Don't you think you consider yourself way more intelligent than you should?" I glared at him.

"I am intelligent enough to be your boss," he shot me a fake smile.

I glared at him and got up to go to sit on the couch. Mom, Josh and Drama Queen were sitting on the longer side of the L-shaped couch, with Mom in the middle. Aaron and Amy were sitting on the shorter side. Hence, the only seat available was a single chair next to where Drama Queen was sitting. Unfortunately, everywhere else was already occupied and I had to sit there.

"Now that we all are here, you guys wanna eat?" Drama queen asked everyone in general.

"Oh no. Not yet. We still have one last-minute guest coming," Mom told us.

"Last minute guest?" Aaron asked, placing his hand around Amy's shoulder.

"Well, we just met today afternoon and your mother insisted that she came for dinner," Josh chuckled looking at Mom.

"I never insisted. She kind of put the words in my mouth and then, it would have seemed weird for me to not invite her," Mom made a face.

"Nonetheless, I think you'd be glad to see her," Josh told Aaron and Drama Queen.

"Does she have a name?" Aaron asked.

"Your childhood friend, Ashley Jones," Mom told him.

Aaron's eyes almost popped out of their socket and he turned to look at Amy whose face had turned stone hard.

"Ashley Jones?" Drama Queen frowned.

"Nashville's neighbour," Aaron reminded him.

"Oh yeah, I remember her," he nodded, "How are you still in touch?"