Storm's Night

Lia

"Dr. Lia, we need more bottles of O-negative type blood and IVs," the senior doctor said as she rushed towards the patients.

"On it," I nodded and rushed to the front desk, "Nurse, call for more bottles of O-type blood and IVs. We have an overload of patients in the emergency room today. Also, send me a list of available wards just in case we need to rush someone. You can to the processing of documents later."

"Of course. This was so expected. It happens almost every year on such a stormy night," she shook her head and made the call.

I sighed and turned to go back to the emergency room.

It had been a very depressing day at the hospital. The weather had been bad for the last couple of days in the city.

First, it snowed a few days ago and then, tonight a lot of cars crashed around the city due to the ice on the roads.

I don't understand why people do not drive carefully when they know that it is not safe.

"We have another sad news for the late-night workers of New York City. Due to the bad weather and the expected snowstorm tonight, the subway routes in multiple places in the city have been shut," the news reporter said on the television.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to look at it.

"Yes, viewers, you have heard it right. The list of train lines that are shut is showing on the screen right now. The city municipal is trying to get them to start again but, like every year, we anticipate that they will probably remain shut through the night," the reporter said and then continued talking to her colleague about what steps need to be taken to avoid these scenarios in the future.

I almost groaned in frustration as I saw the F line pop up on the screen. That is the one that I need to take to go home and now, I am stuck.

"Dr. Lia, the blood," the nurse handed me the bottles and I rushed back.

I do not have time right now. I will think of a way to go home after my shift. Maybe the hospital staff will just let me stay here for the night.

About two hours later, finally, my shift had ended. The trains were still closed and I had no idea how to go home.

I decided that it would be best if I just stayed in the hospital lounge for tonight.

"Hey," I went to the receptionist to ask her for the keycard.

"Hey, Dr. Lia. Are you just leaving?" she asked me.

I opened my mouth to speak but, just then the power supply got cut and the lights shut down.

"Oh no," she muttered as I gasped.

It took a couple of seconds for the generator to be turned on and the lights to come back.

"Just give me a second, doc," she said and picked up the telephone.

She started announcing over it, "All floors, this is the reception. I would like you to know that we are currently on generator supply and this might be for a while. This is a service emergency. I repeat this is an emergency level five. Please follow the code. Please follow the code."

Great! Just Great!

I mentally groaned at that. Code five emergency means all the power usages that are not absolutely required for the patients and the doctors will be shut. No using the canteens, lounges or any other non-essential areas that may consume electricity.

Now, what?

"Yes, Dr. Lia, how may I help you now?" she asked me.

"Uh....actually, my....my train is shut and I am not sure if I should be taking a cab right now. Do you know by any chance if I can just spend the night in the hospital? I know that the lounges are closed but, maybe somewhere I can just rest for a bit?" I asked her, rubbing my shoulder.