ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

Rory harshly threw herself on her bed as soon as she got back from her long walk. She stared at the ceiling for a while. Thinking about everything she had seen on her entire day.

'You can't leave this place anymore.'

That's what the lady said in front of the church earlier and it kept going and going in her mind. Something about it just couldn't sit right with her.

But what's worse is that after that encounter, she went back to the train station. There were no cabs who wanted to take her there so she had to go by foot. It took her a while to reach back the station, but she managed to arrive there at least.

Rory waited for hours. Even after the same time she arrived last night had already gone by. The train did not arrive just as the staff from the restaurant told her.

It made Rory more concerned but curious at the same time.

Will the train really won't be back in a month?

I won't be able to leave here anytime at all?

Questions continued to bother her but none were answered. Except one conclusion came into mind.

That the city is like no other.

The next day, Rory decides to find the girl from the restaurant. But she didn't get to see her and one of the staffs said that her shift is for later.

She didn't have much to do in such a small and strange city. After all, she is new.

She found herself back to the church where she met the lady. It's weekdays so naturally, there's no mass and the church is empty. Although she spotted a few among the rows of seats but there's literally just two or three people.

"Are you looking for someone?" Rory turns hearing a deep yet charming voice.

Her heart somehow skipped. Seeing the same guy she bumped yesterday morning. This time, he's wearing a white shirt tucked to his black slacks. His clothes are simple but it accentuates his model-like proportions.

"Oh! You're that girl from yesterday! Right?" The guy chuckled as he pointed at Rory. A small and charming smile displayed on his lips. "I don't think we've officially met. My name's Isac!" The guy introduced himself and offered his hand.

Rory looks at it a bit taken aback. She's used to shutting people away. Especially those who are actually loud and Isac is definitely not an exception. But unconscipusly, Rory accepts his hand and wholeheartedly smiled back.

"I'm Rory." She briefly replied before retracting her hand and tried to look somewhere else before she gets too awkward.

"It's nice to meet you Rory. You must be new here. I don't think I've seen you anywhere before. Well aside yesterday. "

"Y-yeah. I'm just here for vacation. I don't plan to stay too long." She said and looks at Isac to see his reaction.

"Really? And is our little town making your vacation worth it?" He asked with a genuine smile.

That's weird.
The lady yesterday reacted differently...

"It has its good spots. But I guess there's nothing much to see." She replied and looked back to the church seeing a few nuns entering.

"I'd hate too agree. The town is too small to build more tourist spots. But if you make a lot of memories, I'm sure you'll love the place eventually." Isac said and beckoned Rory to walk, leading her to the garden.

It's a spacious garden that has various types of flowers and surrounding statues of saints. There are a few bench too. On which the two had seated to continue their conversation.

"I don't think I'm interested of making memories here. As I said, I don't really plan to stay long."

"That's a shame. This town rarely gets a tourist. Maybe because we don't have much to boast." Isac pouts slightly and Rory somehow founds it adorable for someone so tall as him. He looks cute but at another angle, he is very handsome as if his face was delicately sculpted by the hand of God.

"Well for starters. I like that restaurant place near the train station." She says and Isac's face suddenly lit up.

"Yeah! My friends and I are a regular at that place!" Isac exclaimed with a rather excited tone. "We always go there to have breakfast every time we finish our prayers." He added.

"Oh! Are you a server in this church?"

"Since a boy!" Isac said proudly with a full and big smile.

I guess he loves being here...

"Do you go to church often?" Isac suddenly asks.

"I don't. It's been a while since I stopped believing." Rory's tone were a little sullen. Isac figured he might've touched a sensitive topic.

"I see. If you're not comfortable to share it. You don't have to." He said almost right away and gave an apologetic smile at the girl.

"I'm more worried you'd get offended!" She laughs seeing how Isac reacted.

"But it's cool. Where I'm from, people tend to experience a lot of worse things. Sometimes, it hits you when you least expect it. And when you need God, He's nowhere to help you."

"How would you know? Maybe God helped you and you just didn't realize it?" Isac asks as he tilts his head curiously.

"I'm here now. So I don't think your God helped me at all. Because if He did, I'd be somewhere else. He gave up on me probably way before I even realized it."

"Or maybe this is exactly the help that you needed." Isac said and suddenly stood up while smiling coyly at the girl.

"I don't know what happened. But I'm sure God never gave up on you. He always lends a hand to help, whether you are His believer or not. And if our faith is not strong enough, then we'll never realize it."

"What if the help that He gave you is actually what brought you here?"

"I mean. You are the one in a garden church. With me who is His server!"

Rory stares back at Isac with a rather unpaintable expression. She can't tell whether she wants to slap him on the face for being too proud of himself and his God. Or compliment him for his strong faith and friendly behaviour.

"Come. Let me show you around." He said as he offered his hand to the girl.

"You're new here. And I'm free at the moment. I know the place like the back of my palm so I'm the best tour guide you got!" He said and laughed lightly at the last part. His hand still ready for the taking.

"How should I know you're not taking me somewhere to murder me?"

I hope you liked the chapter.
Don't forget to vote and comment to share your thoughts.