Wattpad Original
There are 32 more free parts

Ch. 7: I don't love anyone, Imogen.

I tuck Maeve into bed after her bath, kissing her damp hair. This afternoon scared her as much as it did me, and although I don't want to be one of those Mum's who projects their fears onto their children, I'd happily never see a swimming pool again in my life.

"Are you and Daddy arguing?" she asks, burrowed beneath the covers.

I hate lying to her.

"A little bit," I admit. "But it's only because we care about each other a lot. It won't always be like this."

"Do you promise?"

I nod. "Absolutely."

She closes her eyes and drifts off soon after, soundlessly dreaming. I've always been envious of her ability to fall asleep so quickly. She gets that from her father.

"It's not as simple as that, Reaper!"

Torin's's voice travels through the open window.

"Isn't it?" he counters.

Idiots!

Combined, they're a force to be reckoned with. A power to fear. Yet, they forget I'm staying in the guest bedroom above Torin's office and can therefore hear every word of their private conversation.

"If she knew who I've become. The things I've done... she wouldn't want me to be a part of Maeve's life either."

"Shouldn't you let her decide that?" he responds. "This is Imogen, for fuck's sake! The woman you love!"

He doesn't deny it and—for the first time in what feels like forever—a smile finds it way onto my lips.

"It doesn't matter what I feel," argues Torin. "It's what's best for Maeve."

"That's bullshit!" he insists.

Torin disagrees. "I'm not cut out to have children—"

"T, I would do anything to have Sadie back with me," interrupts Fiona, joining the conversation. "Imogen is right in front of you, and you choose to act hostile."

"Fiona—"

"You've been given a second chance and you're fucking it up!"

"I'm trying to do the right thing here!" he insists. "You have to trust me. Keeping Maeve safe is my top priority."

His words are like a punch to the gut.

"And what about Imogen?" asks Fiona.

"I'm not discussing this with you two!" he barks.

"Why not?" probes Fiona.

"There's nothing to say."

"Again, that's bullshit," offers Reaper.

"What do you suggest I do?" he snaps. "Falsely lead Imogen astray, only to marry Eva Gallagher in a matter of months?"

What the fuck?

Torin might've spent the better half of five years building his empire, but he failed to mention the part where he's engaged to Finn Gallagher's daughter—AKA, Eva. AKA, my arch fucking nemesis.

"Shit—T—you need to tell her."

"How the fuck do I do that?"

The conversation seems to end there because all goes silent. Either that or Torin has finally stuck to his word and murdered Fiona for speaking down to him. Friend or not, you never speak out of line to your boss.

I desperately try to make sense of the information I've been fed tonight. Why would Torin ask Eva to marry him, unless by force? Perhaps Finn is blackmailing him? Or maybe it's a bribe? Is he in love with her?