Wattpad Original
There are 21 more free parts

Ch. 18: Do not kiss him ever.

It's been four days since I last spoke to Torin. He may think he's being subtle, but I've caught him actively avoiding me on two separate occasions now. The first time was when I entered the kitchen and he pretended to get a call on his phone. The second—more recent time—he straight up changed direction when he saw me walking towards him. On the off chance we do accidently make eye contact, he makes his feelings for me perfectly clear. I never knew the meaning of lust-filled eyes packed full of resentment until I reunited with Torin. The man is at war with himself, and I can't say I'm any different. I know I need to keep my distance. To accept that my future with him is non-existent. But—fuck me—do I want him. I battle day in and day out to resist him and I swear it's getting harder.

"This one?" asks Oliva, holding up a green gown with gold detailing.

I nod, uninterested to say the least.

Frank announced my engagement to Aidan and is throwing a party at his townhouse this evening to celebrate. I should've known he'd want to parade me around in front of his associates. Frank doesn't know the meaning of the word understated and the thought of having to celebrate marrying into his family makes me sick to my stomach.

"You're going to have to practice your happy face before you go," she warns, smiling.

Tilly is sprawled out on my bed, reading a book.

"Am I that obvious?"

Olivia nods, but before she has the chance to say anything, Fiona, Nicole and Eva barge into my bedroom.

"Tell me what I'm hearing isn't true!" demands Fi, stomping towards my dresser.

Nicole and Eva hang back for the sake of not wanting to bombard me.

"Well, that depends. What're you hearing?"

"That you're marrying Aidan fucking O'Neil."

"I sigh." Fi..."

"Oh my god! Imogen, you can't marry him!"

"I have to!"

She groans in frustration.

"I don't have any other choice."

"What the hell?"

"It's politics," I assure.

"It's bullshit!"

"Fiona—"

"No, don't Fiona me! You're doing this to save these women from being slaves. Yet, your enslaving yourself in doing so. It's idiotic!"

I can't argue with that.

"It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make," I offer.

She pulls on my hands, desperate to make me see sense. "Please don't do this."

Tears well in her eyes and I can tell she's very passionate about this.

"Fi, it'll be okay. Aidan has promised me he'll take down Shane's empire. He's a man of his word."

"But he's not your man," she retorts. "Torin is."

I turn away, not prepared to have this discussion.

"I had to put him to bed last night when he drank himself into a coma."

"Fiona—"

"He's had your engagement ring picked out since you were sixteen!"

"Fiona—"

"He still keeps it in a drawer beside his bed!"

"FIONA!"