Wattpad Original
Ada 18 bab gratis lagi

Ch. 21: I'm not going to let anything happen to you.

Torin and I don't hesitate before sprinting into the darkness, following Maeve's frightened cries. My legs shake as I pound the floor, adrenaline spiking. Torin is in front of me, strides much faster than mine. His huge body barrels towards Maeve's direction, gun drawn. I can sense his panic. His desperation. But he doesn't let those thoughts become dominant in any way, shape of form. Instead, he manoeuvres these halls like a damn sniper agent, expertly shooting anyone getting in our way. I fist one hand out of fear and keep the other firmly on Torin's waist, unprepared to separate myself from him right now. Every so often, he places his hand on top of mine but for the most part, he uses it to take out any of Shane's men threatening our safety.

From my right, I sense movement and instinctively throw myself in front of Torin, shielding his body from any harm that may occur. Luckily, whoever it is either can't see us or has shit aim. They fire twice, missing on both occasions.

"Imogen!" Torin sounds pissed. "Baby, what the fuck was that?"

"What?"

He tilts my chin using the barrel of his gun. "Don't jump in front of me."

"Why not?"

"Maeve needs her mother."

I quickly shove on his chest. "She also needs her father."

His gaze narrows, lips moments away from protesting.

"Mummy! Daddy!"

We realign our priorities, locating Maeve's cries within seconds. Torin practically kicks down the door leading into what I assume is another guest bedroom.

"Maeve—sweetheart—it's daddy. Where are you?"

Her tiny sobs sound from underneath the huge bed, prompting Torin to drop to his knees. He slowly masks his face, transitioning from mafia boss who just killed multiple people on his way over here to caring dad.

"What are you doing under there, baby girl?"

"Hiding," she replies.

I follow his movements and peek under the bed, holding my arms out to her.

"You did so good, Maeve," I say, desperate to hold her.

She looks at my hand, but she's too frightened to move.

"You can come out now," encourages Torin.

"Not until the bad men go," she replies, eyes filling with moisture.

Torin struggles to see her like this, fists clenching. Maeve notices his change in demeanour and catches sight of his gun, instinctively shuffling away. His shoulders sag the second he realises, gaze dropping to his knees.

"Maeve—baby—Daddy is going to keep us safe," I offer, touching her arm. "But for him to do that you need to come out."

She looks to Torin and then to his gun.

"I don't like it when Daddy has a gun," she admits.

Torin drags a hand through his hair, nervously releasing a sigh.

"I'm sorry, baby," he offers. "Am I scaring you?"

She nods.

"I'll put it away," he says, doing exactly that before holding his hands out to her.

She backs further away, unable to go to him.

"Maeve, sweetheart—"

Shots fire from outside the room, giving Torin no choice but to abandon his efforts with Maeve and fire back. Her screams are loud as I throw myself under the bed to reach her, pulling her tiny body underneath mine. After what feels like an eternity, Torin tugs on my sleeve, body heaving with exhaustion.