Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 34: We rode unicorns and had a tea party.

I spend the next three hours working on a detailed rescue mission with Nicole, Fiona, Eva and everyone else. The power of working with determined women should never be taken for granted. Their energy is infectious and already I have a clearer prospective on things. I even allow myself to feel hope in what is quite possibly the first time in years.

"I better check on Katalina," announces Olivia, gently patting Tilly on the arm on her way past.

I very quickly run through the plan one more time before gathering up the papers and heading towards Torin's office. It's silent when I enter, and I find him and Maeve fast asleep on the leather couch. She is tucked snugly into her father's side, curled into his chest. His arm drapes tightly around her waist, protecting her from falling should she suddenly move. It's a small space and not at all appropriate for a two-person nap, but still. The sight brings tears to my eyes.

"Hey." I gently brush Torin's hair away from his face.

His eyes slowly open, taking in his surroundings.

"Umm—we fell asleep."

I smile. "I can see that. Did you have fun?"

He nods, careful not to startle Maeve into waking up.

"We played princesses. I was Prince Torin."

I sit on the arm of the couch and continue to play with his hair.

"We rode unicorns and had a tea party."

"Sorry. I should've warned you. Our daughter's imagination can often run away with itself."

He laughs.

"Did you get any work done?"

"No."

Oops.

"But I don't care."

Our eyes lock.

"I've had the best afternoon."

"She can have that effect," I say, gesturing towards her sleeping form.

Torin reaches up and interlocks his fingers with mine. "So can her mother."

I bend over to kiss his forehead and as I do, Maeve stirs.

"Daddy?"

"I'm here, princess."

She nuzzles his chest and wraps her arms around his shoulders, succumbing to sleep yet again. The movement both heals and shatters my heart.

"I love you," he whispers, kissing Maeve's messy hair. He squeezes my fingers and looks up. "You too."

I deliberately narrow my gaze. "Stop it."

He smirks, our moment of peace interrupted when a frantic Ryan tears through the office door.

"BOSS!"

Maeve jumps awake, clinging to Torin for safety. I immediately spring to my feet, sensing something bad.

"There's been an attack," he explains.

I take Maeve from Torin, knowing he'll need to deal with whatever attack has taken place.

"Finn Gallagher is dead. For real this time."

Shit!

"When?"

"An hour ago. Murphy fucking snapped."

Torin and I exchange glances, silently conveying the exact same thought. The tantrum we both knew was coming has arrived earlier than expected. The question is, why would Shane kill Finn Gallagher first? Why not Torin? Why not me?