Chapter 9. Rescue Attempt Failure

Branch and his troop had finally made it to Chef's trailer. They hide behind a nearby rock and Branch says "They must be inside" and Wani asked "But, how are we gonna get in?" and then Tresillo spots an unlocked window and said while pointing out "How about we go through there?" and Branch said "Great idea! But, how can we get in without Chef knowing we're here?" and then suddenly the front door opened and everyone ducked their heads, so they couldn't be seen as Amber made sure Nova didn't make a noise. Chef was leaving to grab some more firewood, food and fresh water, which meant that she wouldn't be able to catch the troop if they went inside.

Meanwhile Inside the Trailer

The leaders could clearly see that Ruby couldn't last much longer as she was trying to keep her head above the water as she was now floating and sometimes coughed out the water if she accidentally went underwater as she continued to struggle to keep afloat, since she was still tied up.

The leaders were frantic about what they could do as Trollex was panicking the most. They knew that it was only a matter of time before Ruby was 'sleeping' underwater. But just then, Branch and his rescue troop were able to open the window of their room and get in. "Branch!" Poppy shouts and Branch sees her and shouts back to her "Poppy!" and he immediately went to share a hug with Poppy through the cage. Cooper and Prince D both ran towards their parents while exclaiming "Mom! Dad!" and the King and Queen of Funk were relieved to see their sons alright. "Is everyone ok?" Hickory asked before suddenly they heard someone shouting in full panic "Ruby!!" and they immediately turned to see that Ruby's lantern was nearly filled with water as she was still struggling to stay afloat, making Poppy panic and exclaims in worry while pointing at the lantern "Chef placed Ruby in that lantern over there! You have to hurry and help her, or she'll drown!!".

The troop immediately went over to the lantern as it was placed in the sink to save their friend while Kyle, Nova, Oscar and Lucas stayed behind as they stand beside Poppy's cage. Biggie, Amber and Becky were struggling to turn off the faucet while Branch was working on opening the lid. "Guys, help! Please! Help!" Ruby shouts before taking a deep breath and she is now fully underwater as she struggles to hold her breath and starts sinking down. "NO!!" Everyone exclaimed in horror and Branch finally gets the top open just as the same time Biggie, Amber and Becky managed to stop the faucet and without wasting any time, Branch took a deep breath before diving in the lantern and he swam towards Ruby, whose eyes were closed and her mouth slightly opened, grabs her and quickly swims back up and resurfaced with a gasp.

Hickory and Tresillo both grab Ruby while Prince D helps Branch up and then they quickly go to the others as both Hickory and Tresillo gently placed Ruby down. "Ruby?! Ruby!" Poppy, Trollex, Amber and Becky's voices panicked and then Wani immediately went down and placed her ear against Ruby's chest. Her eyes widened in fear and horror as she looks up and says "She's not breathing!".

Everyone froze as they began to panic with fear as Trollex starts banging his fists against the glass bowl again while yelling "No, no, no!" and Hickory says "Move! Move!" and he immediately started doing CPR and Amber began to sniffle while Becky tried to comfort her and then Hickory slightly yelled "Ruby!" and did CPR before pushing fast and hard against the center of Ruby's chest before exclaiming again in worry "No, Ruby!" and does CPR one last time before Ruby starts coughing and also spits out the water from her mouth.

Everyone either sighed or cheered in relief seeing that their friend/girlfriend was alright and then both Hickory and Tresillo help Ruby sit up slowly before Amber exclaims in relief "Ruby!!" and she immediately hugged her best friend as she cried a little while saying "Thank goodness you're okay!".

"Thanks for saving me guys" Ruby gave them a smile of gratitude, making the leaders and the human children cheer. "Now, let's hurry and get the rest of you out before Chef returns" Branch said and just before they even got the chance to start picking the locks on the cages, they were suddenly caught by nets and placed in more cages. Chef had returned early and had found out about the rescue attempt.

"How wonderful of you all to join us" Chef says with an evil grin while holding up a net that has Kyle, Nova, Lucas and Oscar trapped inside as they were scared, making everyone worry and concern for the human children as Nova began to whimper.