Chapter 11

Vote and comment <3

--- ---- ---

Ryan

"How is your girlfriend doing?"

Jeremy looked up from his meal. The light of the chandelier overhead glinted off his black hair.

Elizabeth Davies, my mother, liked to have dinner in the big dining room even if her only guests were her son and grandson. I shifted in my seat. The twelve person table only emphasized the house's emptiness.

My grandparents passed away years ago. My father died a few years after them. Ever since then, my mother had been living alone. She refused to move in with me, instead living in a big mansion, empty but for the staff she kept on hand.

"We're just going on a few dates to see how things turn out," I said.

"It's been three months," my mother said. "More than enough time to judge whether she is right for you and Jeremy or not."

"Are you talking about Barbara?" Jeremy perked up. "I like Barbara."

My mother raised a brow. "You have met her, Jeremy?"

"Uh-huh." Jeremy grinned. "She's cool."

I avoided my mother's probing gaze, but that did not deter her. "You let her meet Jeremy."

I sighed, knowing what was coming. "Yes."

"Yet you did not want me to meet her?" she said, straightening in her seat. Mother pursed her lips and frowned down at her plate.

"We met by chance one time," I said. "And she happened to be with me when I picked up Jeremy from school."

"She'll also go with us to see the shelters," Jeremy offered. Very helpful, my son.

"What shelters?" she asked.

"Pet shelters. I'm going to get a pet," Jeremy said.

"And she went with you?" She looked at me. "You and Jeremy spent time with her, and you're telling me you're not serious about her?"

"I didn't say-"

"Am I going to be suddenly invited to your wedding? Will I even know when you get married?"

"Mum, no one is getting married-"

She held up her hand, the other going to cover her lips. She blinked quickly, her eyes bright. I put my fork down and rubbed my eyes. I did not need my mother's dramatics right now.

"Mum, you have nothing to worry about," I said. "If things get serious, you'll be the first to know."

"Will I?" She sniffed and tucked her short white hair behind her ears.

"Mother..."

"Then invite her to my christmas function," she said, looking at me with sharp blue eyes that had not dulled with age. "That shouldn't be an issue, correct?"

I sighed. "I'll see. She's a busy woman. If she already has a commitment, there's nothing I can do."

My mother gave a firm nod and picked up her fork and knife, her earlier heartbroken expression clearing up in a second. "Perfect. Let us eat, then."

***

I dropped on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Dinner with my mother always drained me.

I had just put Jeremy to sleep and took a shower. But sleep wouldn't come. It had been days since Barbara had taken me to the training studio. She constantly surprised me. Seeing how strong she was physically was a pleasant surprise. She was no delicate flower.