Chapter 36

Barbara

I spent the day with Ryan and Jeremy. It was well into the afternoon when I finally decided to go back home. Ryan walked me to my car, Pirate trotting between us.

The one-eyed dog no longer seemed to find Ryan unpleasant. He had gone from growling at him at the beginning, to simply ignoring his presence. Now he looked like he would let Ryan pet him with no issue.

"What are you doing this week?" Ryan asked, moving to my other side and holding my hand. It was as if now that he could, he took every chance he could get to touch me. I didn't mind at all.

"I'm volunteering at one of the shelters on Monday. I have a meeting with my financial advisor on Wednesday. And Eleanor is coming in on Friday, so we'll probably spend some time together. No plans yet."

Ryan sighed and looked skyward. The weather forecast predicted rain tonight, but the sky was an unperturbed blue overhead. "You ever think of going back to work?"

"I don't know. Maybe? To be honest, now that I took a step back from it all, I realize just how stressful it was. Sure, it was rewarding, but I really don't want to be that chronically stressed about anything ever again.

"But at the same time, all the free time is making me insane." I glanced at him. "How did you do it? How did you go from working full time to not working at all?"

"I was pretty busy back then. I had to take care of Jeremy. Being a stay at home parent isn't as easy as some people think. I have nothing but respect for all the parents who juggle a career and parenthood."

"Mhm. We have the privilege of simply quitting work once it gets too much without worrying about financial stability," I said.

Growing up as I did, I never would've thought I'd be this lucky. I never thought there wouldn't be a time when I wouldn't worry about food. No child should have to worry about their next meal. Unfortunately, there are too many children who do in this world.

The guilt of being rich was something I could never seem to shed. I donated and sponsored so many causes and people, to the point where Eleanor jokingly told me that I was trying to give away all my wealth.

However, I got to do many things thanks to money, I got to help many people. So I was grateful for the privilege.

"Now that Jeremy is settling down at school here, I'm thinking about going back. Maybe," Ryan narrowed his eyes. "I've been keeping an eye on a few failing companies that I find challenging..."

Ryan was a CEO renowned for rescuing companies from the brink of death. He would come in at a time of difficulty, save the day, quit once the company made a recovery then look for another failing ship to save. A knight in shining armor in the business world. I smiled to myself, squeezing his hand. Not just in the business world.

We spoke about business, about the latest piece he was working on in his woodworking studio, and about enrolling together in a Taekwondo class. Discussing the future with him made me feel delirious with happiness. I had something to look forward to. Not just work and my pets anymore.

Once we reached my car, I let Pirate in the backseat, closed the door and turned to Ryan. "So?"

"So? About that movies' date? Next Saturday?"

"Okay. Next Saturday," I said. Ryan smiled and kissed me, making me feel afloat.

He brushed his finger across my cheek, a warm smile in his eyes. Stepping back, he tucked his hands firmly in his pockets. "Go before I kidnap you back to my place."