Chapter 12

Barbara

I stared at the invitation in my hands. The annual Christmas party organized by the OG group was two days away. I had completely forgotten about it.

"I know you forgot about it," Amanda said, putting a cup of coffee on my desk. "So I had Melissa put together a few dress options for you to select from."

I nodded, grateful I didn't have to worry about a dress. "Thank you, Amanda."

"You're welcome," she said. "Also, it's a plus one. I just thought you should know."

I glanced at Amanda. My assistant had a knowing glint in her dark eyes. I had always attended parties alone. Apparently, news of my supposed relationship with Ryan was more widespread than I thought.

My heart fluttered. I felt excited now that I actually had a person to bring.

"I'll let you know," I said.

After Amanda left, I picked up my phone and dialed Ryan's number.

"Good morning, Miss Owens," he said, a smile in his voice.

"Good morning, Ryan," I said. "Are you free two evenings from now?"

"Hmm, let me see." There was some shuffling in the background, then Ryan spoke again. "I'll have to see if Jordan can take care of Jeremy. But he probably will. What's up?"

"The Group's Christmas party," I said. "I forgot about it. If you can't attend, that's alright. I always go on my own, so it won't be an issue."

"Of course I'll go," he said. "Send me the details."

Ryan confirmed his attendance an hour later, and I felt that this year's party wouldn't be as lonely as the previous ones.

Usually, people left me alone after the first bout of socialisation and greetings. I used to think that I didn't mind being alone, but having Ryan around so frequently made me realize I'd rather have company. Specifically, his company.

I still couldn't believe he stuck around this long. I knew I was attractive by society's standards, but I also knew that my personality was not what most men found attractive. I hadn't had a real interest in a man for that to matter to me, so far.

Now I did.

Although Ryan hadn't made any sign that he wanted to make our relationship real, I found myself slowly falling for his charms, and not as a friend.

Then again, only a dead woman would not find Ryan attractive.

But a tiny part of me wondered; what would he think if he knew I was a murderer?

*** **** ***

I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair hung in a loose braid down one shoulder. My face bore a hint of makeup in my thick lashes, lips and cheeks.

I smoothed my hands down the silk of my dress and wondered if I had made the right choice.

I usually went for black, but this time I chose a deep maroon silk dress. The full sleeves hid the scars on my arms, and the long skirt flowed down to my ankles like wine. The only skin I showed was through the modest v-neckline. It was an elegant dress, and it made me feel beautiful.

My phone rang. Ryan.

He was picking me up from my office where I'd gotten ready. Steadying my breath, I threw the black fake fur wrap around my shoulders, picked up my clutch and walked out.

Eleanor and John were in my place, taking care of my pets for the evening. The weather today was wild. I would ask them to spend the night considering the snow storm going on. And I would have to leave the party early if I wanted to reach my house before the snow got worse, according to the weather forecast.