Chapter 28

Barbara

Saturday couldn't come soon enough.

Eleanor was staying with me for a few days. Her wedding was only a couple of weeks away, and she had turned into Bridezilla.

I was responsible for the entire wedding, much to Eleanor and John's chagrin at first. But I'd convinced her this was the last thing I would do for her, and she should let me do it. Guilt tripping her worked.

I made sure to hire the best wedding planner and make the process as stress free for Eleanor as possible, which worked for the months leading to the wedding. But now that there were only two weeks left, I guess it finally clicked that she was getting married. And she was stressing over every little detail. So I made her pack some clothes and stay with me for a few days. Hopefully, being away from the chaos of the city would help her unwind.

"If that asshole doesn't get his head out of his ass, I'm going to beat him up with my roller," Eleanor said, brandishing said roller like a bat. We were in my kitchen, and she was making gingerbread cookies of all things.

I had a stock of chocolate chip cookies, brownies and lemon cakes to last me the entire year thanks to Eleanor's stress relieving habit. Not to mention all the sweets Ryan had sent after I told him to stop sending flowers.

I glanced at the vase of white tulips on the counter and smiled. There was another vase of white and red roses in my bedroom, and another one with white orchids on my living room table. I would be lying if I said the flowers and the sweets hadn't mellowed me out. The fact that he sent those instead of jewelry and expensive bags was even more meaningful to me.

"Eleanor," I scolded gently. "Don't say anything to Ryan."

She scowled at me, her green eyes on fire. Blond whips of hair escaped her ponytail and framed her face. She rolled the dough on the island, grumbling under her breath, "you deserve much better than him. I don't understand why you don't want me to tell him off."

"Thank you," I said. "But that's between me and Ryan. He already apologized-"

She opened her mouth, but I held up my hand and continued, "it doesn't mean I forgive him, and it doesn't mean we're going to get together. I just don't want him to know how much he's hurt me, and you being angry with him would only be proof that he did."

"Whatever," Eleanor said. "He's using his son to get close to you again. You know that, right?"

"Yes, I'm not completely stupid."

"Smartass," she grumbled, getting cookie cutters out of a drawer. "I'm just saying. That either means he doesn't care much for his son or he's desperate. Which one is it?"

"He adores his son," I said.

"So he's desperate." She hummed. "Good."

I smiled, shaking my head. "How's the wedding coming along?" I asked.

She pointed a star shaped cookie cutter at me. "Don't. Just don't. I'm going to kill you."

I made the sugar glaze while Eleanor finished the cookies and stuck them in the oven. Pirate ventured into the kitchen from the living room and laid down near the entrance after getting a few pets.

One hour later, the cookies were out and decorated, the kitchen was clean, and Eleanor was much less grumpy.

I glanced at the clock. Ryan and Jeremy should be here in ten minutes. My heart beat faster. I turned on the coffee machine and touched my hair. It was up in a bun, curls escaped the knot and teased my cheeks and neck. I was wearing a pale blue sweatshirt and sweatpants. Not a speck of makeup on my face.