Chapter 39

Ryan

Lady spent the night in the hospital, while Barbara, Jeremy and I spent the night in my place. After calling the cops, I got a hold of my lawyer and briefed him on the situation.

I barely slept at all. The following morning, Jeremy woke up less shocked compared to the night before, but certainly nowhere near as cheerful as his usual self. He wanted to go to Barbara's place. So we packed our bags, picked Lady from the hospital and went straight to Barbara's.

The ocean air and peace would help both Jeremy and Lady heal. Though I was still worried about Jeremy. I had no idea of the extent of Miranda's indiscretions. When I asked, he'd told me this was the first time something like this ever happened. But I would never know for sure, and the guilt was killing me.

I was the reason for this. I had tried to force the relationship between them. I hadn't noticed Miranda's relapse into drugs.

It was my fault.

"Don't be hard on yourself," Barbara said.

We were sitting at the kitchen island with coffee and cookies courtesy of Eleanor, who had left shortly after we arrived. I hadn't touched food since yesterday. Jeremy was settled in the guest bedroom on the first floor with Lady, both of them deep asleep.

Sunlight filtered in through the kitchen windows, the bright light at odds with the dark storm raging inside of me. The crashing waves were the only sound that disturbed the quiet here. A good place to get my thoughts together.

"It's my fault," I told Barbara. "I'm his father. I'm responsible for his safety and well-being. He was around drugs and alcohol and strange men. So many things could've gone wrong and I wouldn't have known about them if Lady hadn't licked some of the drugs."

I rubbed my eyes and blew out a breath. Just thinking about it made me sick. Barbara leaned her head against my shoulder and rubbed my back. "But nothing happened. Jeremy is safe. Lady is going to be okay."

"Yes." I leaned my head against hers.

Barbara was right. No need to drown in remorse. It wasn't productive. But I was angry. Paradoxically, my anger shadowed any other emotion and allowed me to view my next course of action with clarity.

I kissed Barbara's head, breathing in the soothing scent of her hair. "Can you keep an eye on Jeremy and Lady for a few hours? I have to go back and take care of things."

"Of course. Go do what you have to do. Don't worry about Jeremy."

"Thank you." I kissed her and stood up.

I peeked on Jeremy and Lady. The curtains were drawn, bathing the room in dim lights. Jeremy looked peaceful, the covers bunched at his waist. Lady slept on the big bed by his feet. Pirate on the floor. The two dogs opened their eyes and looked at me. I padded inside, pulled the covers to Jeremy's chin and petted Lady's head.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, sweetheart," I whispered. She licked my hand and blinked those big brown eyes adoringly. I scratched her head one last time and stole out of the room.

Barbara waited for me at the door. She gave me a granola bar, a travel mug and a smile. "Drive safe."

My heart melted. I had thought I couldn't possibly love her more than I already did, but I was wrong. I accepted the offerings and kissed her. She slipped something into my pocket. Pulling back, I raised my brow.

"House keys," she said.

Her words reached inside my heart cradled it with warm, gentle fingers, healing and mending cracks I didn't know existed. Barbara's trust was a gift I didn't know what I did to deserve.