Chapter 18

Barbara

Eleanor helped me get ready for Ryan's mother's party. She would keep an eye on the babies while I was away.

"You might as well spend the night," I said, looking at Eleanor's reflection in the mirror. She was currently doing my hair in the bathroom. The late afternoon light streaming in through the large windows reflected off her golden locks. Pirate was in the empty bathtub right under the window. He loved sleeping there.

"I was thinking about it," Eleanor said, not meeting my eyes.

"Good," I said. "Maybe you'll tell me what you've been keeping from me tonight."

Eleanor froze, meeting my eyes with her wide ones.

"You'll burn my hair," I said. Eleanor startled and pulled the curling iron away from the brown lock.

"Sorry." She cleared her throat then mumbled, "I'm not really keeping anything from you."

"Mhm." I did not add anything.

Suddenly, Eleanor's lips trembled and her eyes filled with tears, the green irises looked like emeralds under the sun's bright glow.

"Oh, Eleanor." I rose and pulled the curling iron from Eleanor's hand as the first tear dropped and Eleanor gasped.

"I'm so sorry." She hiccuped, covering her face with both hands. I pulled her down to sit on the stool and crouched in front of her.

"It's okay. I'm sorry I upset you," I said, rubbing my sister's knees. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"N-no," she said, wiping her eyes with her sleeve. "I need to tell you."

I smiled and patted her knee. "I'm listening."

"John was offered a better opportunity back home," Elanor said.

Home for John was Houston, Texas. I held Eleanor's hands. "You guys want to move there?"

Eleanor nodded, her bottom lip quivering again. "But I don't want to leave you."

"Oh, sweetheart." I smiled despite the knot in my throat. "It's okay. I'm a big girl."

"But you'll have no one!" Eleanor said, crying in earnest now. "Wh-who's going to take care of Pirate and the cats when you're working? And who's going to bake you brownies? You can't bake to save your life!"

Eleanor broke down. Fat tears rolled down her cheeks and gasps racked her body. Heartbroken for my sister and for the future days I'd spend missing her, I stood up and hugged Eleanor to me, her blond head warm on my chest.

Eleanor froze, then her cries turned into loud sobs. She hugged me tightly, as if she was already leaving.

"You silly, silly girl," I said, blinking back my own tears. "You're not moving halfway across the world. We'll still see each other. I'll have a reason to travel to Texas more often. I liked it the last time I've been there. I'll miss you a lot, but I'll survive."

Eleanor's response was unintelligible words spoken through sobs and gasps. I lowered my head to rest on Eleanor's and held her. I loved my sister so much, it would hurt to not see her face everyday.

But Eleanor loved John. She would have her own family with him and live a fulfilling, joyful life. If it meant leaving for another state, then I would not hold her back. I would never hold her back.

After what seemed like hours, Eleanor finally quieted down. Yet she didn't let go.

"You don't mind me hugging you?" she asked, her voice raspy.