Waking up was terrifying, my eyes opened to a bright, white light

Waking up was terrifying, my eyes opened to a bright, white light. I was in an unfamiliar room, a white room. The walls beside me were covered in long vertical blinds; over my head, the glaring lights blinded me. I was propped up on a hard, uneven bed, with rails on each side that felt like it was holding me prisoner. The pillows were hard and lumpy, and the constant beeping sound rang in my ears. If this was hell, I wholeheartedly believed it.

There were several clear tubes intertwined with my hands, sprucing off parts of my body, there was one even taped across my face. I tried to lift it off with my powers.

"Shh, you don't want to do that."

A cool, velvet voice reverberated through my brain, and suddenly there was no more discomfort. I felt utterly at peace and knew then, that it must've been heaven. I shifted my head slightly to see where my angel was speaking to me and to my surprise, Edward's exquisite, aphrodite-blessed face was inches from mine. Bella was beside him, holding his hand, her face although stocked with beauty, was no measure to his.

"Bella!" Was the only sound I made as I tried to greet her, a healthy, rested-looking, healed girl. But the rest of my sentence only came out as screeches.

"Claire, you need to rest. But just so you know, I owe you my life." Bella leaned in and spoke to me in a soft tone. Her evident readable face showed true sincerity and gratitude.

I tried to speak further but only a grumbling noise came out, seeing my frantic and hopeless effort to speak Bella got up and volunteered to go get me some human food. As soon as she left the room, I spoke to Edward with my mind.

What happened?

Edward's brows furrowed for a minute and he concentrated very hard on doing something that was fruitless, ultimately images of the outcome from the gruesome battle I had with James slipped through the carefully concealed cracks of his mind.

I saw him, and the rest of the Cullens (except Rosalie and Esme) burst through the half-burnt wooden doors of the studio. Only to find me, dying amidst a cornucopia of hellfire. James's ashes scattered all over my body, like a layer of dirt that buried me six feet under. Everyone acted quickly. Edward sprinted through the fire, letting flames cling onto his clothes while wrapping his long and frigid arms around me like a shield and carrying me straight onto the back of a violently orange-painted car, with bubbles the size of my head that appeared to be deep purple lava, it was the clown of cars. Jasper and Emmett were trying to put out the smouldering fire while checking for any remaining traces of James, to their disappointment, I obliterated him. Bella was nowhere to be found so I guess Carlisle and Alice must've whisked her off to the nearest hospital. The remaining of Edward's memories were of Bella, so I closed my eyes.

With my eyes shut in darkness, I could feel Edward's stony hards brushing through my hair, and caressing my cheeks. His arctic body temperature always made me feel content but never ultimately fulfilled, I ached for something with more warmth, especially in my condition.